1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabs & the Sedan (car)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spector_boogie, Jun 4, 2014.

1. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Because of my work situation, I in the past few months downsized to a BMW 5 Series (F10) sedan. I'm thinking of nabbing two Berg NV115's, but am curious if they'd fit in the trunk...

I'm curious as to how others maximize their space in the average family sedan and get to the gig with at least a two-cab setup. I thought about a 2x112 setup, which I may still do, but I'd like to look at a 2x115 setup first. I know and love the Berg stuff, so this was my first stop.

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    When I had a sedan (88 Honda Accord, 96 Mazda 626, 03 Mazda Protege) I could fit one cab in the trunk and one or both cabs in the back seat. I imagine that your BMW is bigger than any of those but I have a hard time imagining that more than one 115 will fit in the trunk. as always, YMMV

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Added note, When I bought my Ampeg SVT115 i was driving the 626. The cab did not fit in the trunk while it was still in the box. Had to take my brand new cab out of the box in the parking lot of GC to get it in the trunk.

heynorm likes this.
  4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    fEarful 12/6 and 12 sub. More volume than a 410, lower, clearer, and easier to fit in most passenger vehicles
    :)

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Downsizing to a Beemer?
    Life must be real tough...

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I can fit all of this in an '07 Accord 4 door. But just barely. It also requires two people.

SVT - front footwell
    300 Pro - front seat
    Ric - rear footwells or trunk
    215 - across the back seat
    118 - trunk
    accessories - trunk

F9AB364A-D885-48C9-ADA8-5AFB1EA7F127-7646-0000058FD6B7AFBE_zps1dc65082.

7. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Do you have the fold down rear seats? I have an '09 5 series No fold down seats) and an Aguilar GS212 cab. It's a little larger than the Berg and it fits in the trunk with the head. I don't think you'd fit two cabs without folding down the rear seats. The multiple 112 cabs will definitely fit, just not the old school low end of the 15s.

8. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I said downSIZED... not downGRADED... :p

9. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, especially with the extra heft of the NV115... I need to do some measuring and see if I can lay out an NV full sized Berg in the back seat.

10. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I guess worst case I could fit one cab in the trunk + amp, gig bag, and then a second one in the back seat with the bass? I've heard of folks putting full sized (not too deep) cabs laid across the back seat, so maybe an NV would fit.

11. spector_boogie

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Most impressive! I was thinking (again as stated a few times) I could lay a bigger and more shallow (like a Berg) cab across the rear...

12. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    The Aggie 2X12 was a tight squeeze through the door for the back seat, but the Berg NV cab is about 4" narrower and 1" less deep. It should fit with minimum wear and tear on the leathers.:cool:

13. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Also, your MPG drops down to about 5-7.:D

14. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    My bad. Carry on...

15. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    You shoulda got the convertible version. Amazing what you can load into a sedan when there's no roof or door pillars in the way!

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If it's a sedan you may be able to get both in the back seat. Just lay a blanket down so you don't scuff the leather.

Sent from my iPad using TalkBass

17. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    See, this is the trouble with sedans...and even if there's actually enough space in the back, the opening is often too small to fit. I've found that it's often easier to fit gear in a small hatchback than a large sedan.

My weapon of choice when I had a car, however, was a Mazda 626 station wagon/estate :D

BMW make a 5 series estate, you know ;)

Technotitclan likes this.
  18. You're right about the (letterbox) opening of most sedans. Most 4x10s won't fit in any Mercedes sedan trunk except the S Series. I'm ordering a Greenboy Feerless f112 cabinet, which fits in the trunk of my SLK350, sounds full and handles 450WRMS. A TecAmp Puma, Genz-benz Shuttle or Aguila Tone Hammer sits with my bass case in the passenger footwell:)

19. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    For my (nice) old car I've shape a piece of mdf that I put down over a blanket to protect the rear seat squab. I can fit an amp head and TL606 cab on the rear seat and another TL606 in the boot. Bass(es) go in the rear footwell.
    However, usually I take a little 1995 Toyota Starlet and that lot fits in just fine, so I certainly agree that a small hatchback is good!

20. Meh, no more than if he had a few passengers. The SVT and 300 pro in the front is like having a big dude in the passenger seat. The cabs are like having another one and a smaller person in the back.