Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabs to go with a gallien krueger 800RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilks, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Hey all

Recently I picked up a second hand Gallien Krueger 800RB with a cheap 410 cabinet. As my funds start to replenish I'm looking for better quality cabinets, a 115 and a 210.

I currently play in a punk band. What cabinets would suit me?

Thanks

2. come on. someone must have a suggestion.

By the way the head is 100 watts high( the 210 can) and 300w low(115 cab)

3. I had very good results with a Mesa Boogie Road Ready 15 (400 Watts rms) for the 300 Watt side and a Hartke 210XL for the 100 Watt side.

If you were in NYC, I'd sell you my used ones (I've just upgraded my setup)

You'll have to play with the crossover - Make the 15 almost devoid of all tone, and use the 2x10 for the tone, but you'll get terrific tone and presence when you have both on.

Good Luck,

Rob

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    GK heads sound good with Hartke cabs too....when I used to use Hartke cabs they always sounded the best with my GK head. I used to rent out my Hartke's and finally sold them to one of the local sound company's........now when I do big shows I still end up with a GK head and my old Hartkes as backline:)

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'd also agree with the Hartke recomendation.
    They really compliment each other well.

The combination is an industry standard for lots of different styles of music. It may also be the original "modern sound" rig.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Agree re: Hartke's and GK's.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Wilks,

I used a GK 800rb for a good number of years in the 1990s. It worked well both biamped and full range. When I first bought the amp in 1990, I used to run it biamped with two 8-ohm 15" cabs for lows and one JBL PA cab for highs (12" and a radial horn). It sounded great. Later, I bought two Eden 2-10 cabs and started running both cabinets full range with the 300 watt section. That worked great too.

I think that all of the cabs mentioned in this thread would sound great with the 800. It's just comes down to a matter of your personal taste in sound. From what I've seen, it seems that the jazz, funk, etc., crowd prefers the cabs with clean crystal-clear articulate highs, mids, and lows. The classic rock, blues, alternative, etc., crowd seem to prefer the cabs with the deep, punchy, growl, for lack of a better description.

8. Thanks for all the help lads. I'll try to find some hartke's.:D

Do you think the 115B-XL and the 210XL would be a good choice?
    If I were to add another 115B-XL later on would it be okay?

Thanks

9. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    I really don't think a 15 inch is a great choice for punk!
    I think 10's or 8's would suit your punksound, and maybe 12's.