Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs to match up with an EA Wizzy 1-12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smarvelous, May 12, 2004.

1. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I really love the Wizzy. I'm thinking of getting one slightly bigger cab so I can have a two cab modular rig that could run off of one amp (say an EA iamp500 which can handle 2 ohms) Options:

- EA CXL-112 350 watts 8 ohms 103db SPL
    - EA NL-210 500 watts 8 ohms 100db SPL

The wizzy is 4 ohms 250 watts 103db SPL.

I was told by EA that the CXL-112 is as or more efficient than the wizzy, so it seems like this would be a good match. Is the ohm rating difference between the wizzy and the others a factor?

The NL-210 is rated at 3db less efficient than the other cabs. Anyone ever compare any of these cabs? Do you think the NL-210 would match up with the wizzy?

thanks!

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    What kind of gigs are you doing with the wizzy? What amp are you using with it? Curious cause I have one on the way (thanks needmorebass!).

I have an Iamp 500 and a CXL 112. They sound great together. I'll let you know how they team up with the wizzy after it gets here. I'm thinking the 4 ohm wizzy will make it a bit of a mismatch since sensitivity is the same for both cabs - we'll see. I might end up with 2 wizzies. That would be a super portable rig and I wouldn't have to worry about an impedance mismatch.

3. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Perfect, I eagerly await your results with the wizzy/cxl112/iamp500 combo, that's what I am most likely getting.

I've used the wizzy to drive a latin jazz group (conga and timbale, horns, piano) in a medium sized club. It did just fine, it's the loudest small cab I've used and it goes low, which I love. I also used it as a stage monitor at a club which gave me PA support, and it worked great in that capacity too. I've been using one side of my stewart world 600 amp which is 190 watts, so I haven't pushed this guy to its limits yet.

The guy I talked to at EA seemed to think the combination in question would work just fine with the iamp500. He thought the CXL-112 might end up pumping out a bit more volume, but I guess you're going to find out real soon ;)

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Seeing as how if you match an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab, the 4 ohm cab (the Wizzy) will be seeing twice the power of the 8 ohm cab, this may be a valid issue. Especially since the 8 ohm cab (CxL-112 or NL-210) is the higher rated cab. I would think that two Wizzy cabs would be the way to go if you like the sound of it.

That said, I have used my Wizzy with two additional 8 ohm cabs, and have not had any problems. I just make sure that I don't forget that the Wizzy is seeing more power, and be careful not to overload it (though it hasn't yet ever given me any indication that it was ever struggling because of too much power).

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can always pick up a powered Wizzy extension cab with a built in 200watt amp. In fact, you can daisy chain as many powered Wizzy's as you like. That is a cool concept. Imagine a wall of Wizzy's! :p :bassist:

5. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Yes, I am concerned about the ohm mixing issue, now. The CXL, which is going to get less power, is slightly more efficient, so that's good but it needs to be considerably more efficient to make up for the ohm difference from what I have read. But, if "basss" gets a good result (both cabs pumping out lots of air and sounding great) that counts for something too ;) Even if it's not optimal, two 12" cones usually sounds bigger and better than one, I think.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh, 'tis a worthy experiment, for sure! I, too, anxiously await the results of this foray!

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The wizzy came today and I spent some quality time with my gear. The wizzy is an impressive cab for its size. I agree with what you have said, tom, about your wizzy. Its got a nice warm vintagesque vibe to it. It seemed to ad meat to my G string which is very cool. This suckabutt is loud too! It struggles a bit with the low B at higher volumes but I guess you can't have everything. Not saying it was a slouch with the B, but if I got the master on my Iamp 500 much past 5-6 it was fart city on the low lows. Thats pretty damn loud though. The size and weight are great.

Compared to the Cxl 112 the lack of tweeter really shows in the wizzy. I personally have come like somewhat attenuated highs and usually pull some of the upper mids out when using the cxl so I think the wizzy might be closer to what I'm looking for. The cxl has a prettier and at the same time bolder sound. Its more transparent with rounder lows. The wizzy sounds more thick and meaty - less low lows and sparkly highs but still respectable in both departments.

Volume wise the cxl and the wizzy actually are not too far apart. The wizzy seemed just slightly louder probably due to it's 4 ohm impedance. When I hooked them both up neither seemed to dominate the sound- it was fairly balanced between the two and it was freakin loud! The cxl handled the low B slightly better than the wizzy but not by miles- I was able to coax farts when the iamp's master was at about 7-8. Again the cxl is seeing less watts because of its higher impedance so go figure.

Question for you fellow wizzy owners: I've seen pictures of these cabs with both the cup side handles and/or the strap handle on top. Which do yours have and what do the latest models come with?

8. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I got my wizzy a month ago and it came with the cup side handles.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Great review! I am glad to hear that the CxL-112 sounds so good with the Wizzy. I may have to experiment along these lines myself. As for my Wizzy, it is a top handle model, which I really like, since it is an easy one hand carry.

Tom.

10. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Thanks, Tom, for the proposal of just getting another wizzy...

I played a medium sized room w/ an 8 piece salsa band last night with my wizzy 1-12 (no PA support) and was reminded how great that little cab sounds. I've decided 2 of them would be beautiful for the kinds of gigs I'm doing. So it's a done deal, I ordered a second wizzy and an iamp500 from bass northwest.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Other than being louder, if you could report on what all happens to the tone when you match up two Wizzy's, I would appreciate it. I have been thinking about added a second one, myself, and I find that EA cabs really respond well when you "double up."

12. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Will do. I've got a medium sized latin jazz club gig with no PA support on May 28th, and I should have the whole rig by then.

I suspect the two will create just the effect I'm looking for: that big-fat-room-filling-all-around-you type vibe that you get from a PA with lots of speaker cone area. I know that sounds ambitious with just 2 12"'ers but (at reasonable volumes) the EA gear seems to get more of that vibe per square inch than other cabs.

I saw a guy last night with an upright and a single VL-110 last night and, at medium volume, he was getting a beautiful, room-filling fat tone.

13. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Wishful thinking. I ordered the cab, but first there was a production delay on the cabinets (3 weeks) now they are lacking grilles/covers (another 3 weeks potentially)

So I will wait.

Update coming hopefully in a few weeks...

14. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Cool.. let us know how the 2 pair up when it comes through. Did you get the Iamp 500 yet? I'm loving the wizzy/iamp 500 combo. Great tone and big sound from such a small package.

15. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Well. It took about three months for them to build me the cab (** see below) but its here and it sounds huge with another wizzy and the iamp500. My first gig was outdoors with no PA support (though the drummer was similarly handicapped) and it performed admirably. I think I heard some distortion, but I believe that may have been from the 1/4 inch speaker cable I used to daisy chain the 2nd cab (running lots of watts at 2 ohms through 1/4 connecters may not be a good idea) I now have speakons for both cabs and it seems fine.

There is a hugeness imparted by the combined soundwaves of the two speakers. Just one wizzy is very impressive (and I still find one to be enough for many gigs), but you get that room filling coherent wave from the two stacked speakers.

What I'm most impressed about is how cool the iamp 500 runs at 2 ohms. My stewart world 600 runs so hot it fails at 2ohms, even when the volume is barely turned up. The iamp doesn't break a sweat , though I've only turned it to 12 noon where it was very loud. I was told by EA that the wizzy's are slightly lower than 4 ohms, so I believe I am actually running at below 2 ohms!

Here is a pic of the rig. Notice, that EA has changed the handle the number of grill fasteners as well as the finish. The cab is very solid, but it looks like they have implemented some cost cutting. The spray finish was done a little more haphazardly on the new cab: inside the handles did not get covered with spray. The new wizzy finish is also more textured and shiny, which I'm not crazy about becase it doesn't slide as easily on the carpet of my car trunk.

All in all, this is an incredible rig. The head (which I put in a leather computer case along with sheet music, cables etc) is 13 lbs, each speaker is 30 lbs. and they all go on my rolling foldable cart and fit in the trunk of my Mazda Protege. I couldn't throw out my back if I tried. And it's loud, punchy and tasty sounding.

------------------------------------------------------------------

** I was first told it would be a few weeks, then EA had problems getting the cabs mfg'd, then more weeks went by and I was told they were waiting for the grills and on and on. I guess they must be experiencing some growing pains. They make great products, bottom line.

16. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Sweet rig!
    I'm still lovin mine too. I used the wizzy recently at an outdoor street fair gig with no PA in conjuction with a generic 1x12 and the iAmp500 and it preformed exceptionally well. Sweet tone and I never had the volume up much past 1/2 way. The no name 1x12 is not a bad cab but the wizzy is much nicer. I'm sure 2 wizzies are the bomb!

17. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Although I don't have a Wizzy, I do have 2 CXL 112s (driven by an iamp800) and I can attest to what a powerhouse ,but lightweight, rig it is. I never use both cabs for indoor club gigs but every once in awhile we move outside. I did a large Rib Fest gig a couple of weeks ago and used both cabs and the sound was huge. And even at that volume there no B string "farting" at all (you just have to watch the gain).
    The band after us was a very excellent 10 piece Steely Dan tribute and their bass player was quite taken with my EA rig. He even picked up one of the cabs and was dumbstruck at how so much sound came out of those little boxes. I suspect he's ordered an EA rig himself by now.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I loved the Wizzy's that I've played. At last year's BassQuake I played the Wizzy combo and Wizzy powered extension, which is similar to running two Wizzys with a 500. I have to say that each Wizzy is wonderful but playing two Wizzy's together is worth way more than the sum of it's parts. I'm glad that you're digging it as well.

I wanted to take a moment to address the differences that you noticed in the cabinets. First be assured, that EA would never use cost cutting if it negatively affected a single aspect of the product. Knowing Larry, John and Gary the way I do, I can assure you of this. EA had some issues with the rattling in the grill and addressed the problem with a new grill design, also the spray finish has been refined a bit. The finish should be more uniform than the old finish. There should be no texure inside the handles - it's murder on the knuckles

Disclaimer - As some of you know I am an EA endorser and do some technical writing (web site, manuals, etc) for EA. I say this when the flamers arrive.

Mike

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that the Wizzy has actually been through a number of iterations. Mine has a top handle, and no side cutouts. I'm hoping to hear one of the newer ones fairly soon, and if I do, I'll be sure to post a follow-up. Here's my Wizzy with my Walkabout (photo taken before I had my iAMP 800 or WWU):

[​IMG]

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There shhould be no difference in sound as the driver and the internal cabinet dimensions (including the TL) are the same

Mike