Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs w/ rackspace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmanyea, Sep 16, 2002.

1. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    Does anyone know of a source for either loaded or unloaded cabs w/ space to mount an amp and/or preamp? I think it would be cool to be able to custom make a combo from my existing rack. Anyone else?

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Contact Eden or Peavey. I think they both made a 210 with an empty 2 space slot.:eek: Actually, I saw an Eden cab on Harmony Central ads or bassgear.com a couple of weeks ago. I KNOW they're out there.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    a company named hulse does custom jobs at a reasonable price. i'm not sure oif their tone or reliability though. not sure of the website either... i guess i'm not sure about much these days :(

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you could probably make your own cab that did that.. but why? it would be way too heavy

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I think it's hulsebasssystems . Mike Hulse makes some good looking cabs and some have been on Ebay. His "Rumblebee" and "Pulsator" cabs have built in 2 space and 5 space racks, respectively. Go to Ebay and look for "pulsator bass", still up for auction.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    About 10 years ago Ampeg made the SVR 215, I have one sitting in my basement.
    It's a 215 with one backfiring speaker and 4 rack spaces, it's rated 400W/4Ohms and weighs 100lbs.
    It's of very compact size (at least for a 215), but together with an amp it can get VERY heavy.
    Oh and it also has a tweeter with 3 position attenuator switch.

IMHO you are better off with 2 separate units - much easier to carry!

Matthias

7. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the replys. I'll check em out.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

9. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    The Eden was called the Airhead. 2-10s and 3 (?) rack spaces. You see them on Ebay now and again.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have a Hartke 210 combo that has had the amp (2 space) taken out I'd be willing to part with fairly cheap. email me if you are interested. I'm not too far from you in Illinois so you could check it out before buying.

11. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I was in a music store in Florida once, and the salesman was really pushing me to get a 115 kickback cab with an empty rackspace. It wasnt a bad deal, but the cab was at another one of his stores, and i couldent get to it, and the salesman was starting to get on my nerves\

The cab was either a Peavy or a Hartke, i dont remember

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It probably was a Peavey M-112.
    I used to -briefly- have one.
    It was kinda bad to tell you the truth.

13. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    He had it for about $205, but i have a 3-space poweramp, plus i want to get a rackmounted pre-amp.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I actually about to embark on a project to build my own...with at least 2 spaces for my Bass 350 and a ported 1x10 cabinet for a PAS 10 (and Fostex tweeter) sized to be half of a Goliath II Jr. I'll either set that on top of the 1x10T that I built or a single 15.

I'm not sure whether I'll design it to have just 2 spaces or three. To me 4 would look kind of weird.

I have also seen rack mountable speaker cabinets (Peavey made these for guitar)... If you built a cabinet that could be rack mounted, you could fit the whole rig in a rack...albeit a big expensive one.

I recently saw a pair of Peavey 2x10TX (with some other suffix letter) that had two rack spaces in the top and a 210 TX in the bottom.