Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs with horns or without?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zappabass, Nov 29, 2004.

1. zappabass

zappabass

Mar 31, 2004
    visalia
    Is there any noticable difference? The amp at my school has a horn that sounds like ****. I always just turn it off. I'm building a cab- If I leave out a tweeter it will recquire no crossover- correct? I looked inside my Sunn 215 cab and the wires just ran straight from the jacks to the speakers.
    Does this simplicity have a downside-will an added horn give me more than harsh string noise?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    No horn equals simpler wiring. As to if a horn is worth it or not depends on who you talk to. I can't stand them. I have heard many that sound good to me but they just don't fit my sound.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    cabinets with a tweeter require a crossover and a little bit of extra wiring. they also usually have an attenuator so you can adjust the volume of the tweeter/horn. depending upon the crossover and tweeter quality, they can sound great or not so great. FWIW, when bass goes thru the pa or is recorded direct, it always ends up going thru tweeters in the end. There's nothing wrong with not using cabinets with tweeters though, right now i don't. You won't get any really high end "sheen", but depending upon the speakers you get, you can get quite a bit of high mids. (My bag end 1x12 has a ton). For kicks, go listen to some cabinets with really good crossovers/tweeters like epifani or bergantino. They can sound awesome. But in the end, there is no right or wrong answer, just what sounds good to you.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Cabs with tweeters, yes. No big-inch driver can do justice to both the low and high ends of the audio spectrum.

Personally, though, I don't care for horns. They're beamy and they sound brittle to me. AccuGroove and Acme (and maybe others?) have dome tweeters, like you might find in hi-fi speakers. I like the way they sound much better.

5. zappabass

zappabass

Mar 31, 2004
    visalia
    I see, I was confused and thought that horns and tweeters were the same thing. Tweeters are square whereas horns are large and rectangular?
    Any recommendations on what would compliment some Eden 10's. I was looking at a Carvin Red eye tweeter.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what people generally call "horns" on bass cabs are more correctly called horn loaded tweeters. You can have a subwoofer with a "horn" design as well.

7. Major

Major

Jan 7, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I mounted a piezo horn in a little box and I sit it on top of my amp plugged into either the (single 15") speaker cab or the amp output, ie, in parallel with the main speaker. This fills-out the top end beautifully and simply. I consider this one of my brightest ideas but I bet someone has already done it.
    Cheers,
    -Major

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Probably depends on what frequency range your speakers cover. You can't get low end and top end from a 15" speaker for example, short of coaxial. I have an amp with a single 15" and just kept the tweeter off for a long time. Slowly but surely I've worked it in and sometimes it will get me a tone I couldn't get otherwise. It's not a big deal but it's a plus to have the option. It's always comforting to know that you're at least able to cover the frequency range of your bass when tone searching - ie. new pups, whatever. I saw the frequency response of a '65 Fender Precision once and the open E had second order harmonics up to 22KHz. For 4 bass string, usually to 9KHz is adequate but preferably about 13KHz.