Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs with one speakon output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Dec 6, 2003.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    If I want to run two cabs parralel but they both have only one speakon out does that mean I can't use speakon cable exclusively or:

can I plug them each to each channel on the pwr amp and still run them bridged mono?

please excuse my newness on the subject

thanks,
    david

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    would I have to get some sort of dual speakon adapter?

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    bump
    well is searched for info on this and there was some good info but none that was conclusive.

I want to run two GS112s bridged with speakons but they only have one speakon jack so does that mean i will at some point have to resort to a 1/4 cable to run them parralel?

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    OKAY OKAY
    I figured out I'd be running my amp in PARALLEL mode but how much power is going to be putting out then and at what impedence?

5. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    If I interpret this (your most recent post) correctly, you will be using one GS112 on each channel of a stereo power amp. If so, then you will be getting whatever the rated power of that amp is at the GS112's rated impedance - so, if the amp is rated at 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and the GS112s are 8 ohm cabinets, then 200 watts per cab is what you will get.

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    thats what i thought thanks

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You should be able to either buy a 'Y' adapter that goes from one speakon connector on one end to two connectors on the other or buy the parts you need and build it yourself (just make sure you get the wires connected correctly). If you make it yourself, it might take less cable to have one longer leg that goes from the amp to one speaker and the second shorter leg of the 'Y' going to the second speaker (assuming the cabs are in close proximity to each other).

8. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    yeah if I must run bridged for more power I will do this otherwise I'm just going to run parallel to avoid the hassle

9. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    If you want to run parallel in bridge, you got the answer already, a Y cable.

If you had two 4 ohm cabs and an amp only good for 8 ohms bridged, you could plug one into each side and run bridged.

BUT (VERY IMPORTANT) you would have to re-connect one cable for reverse speaker polarity, or it would be out of phase.

Not a connection to use if you can avoid it, but it does work, and depending on the cables you have and the time available it may be helpful.

Speakons often have the little terminal screws, so it isn't too bad to re-connect them, you can avoid soldering. (maybe that has changed??? Mine all have screws)