Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs without speakons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Hey, Im thinking of getting a QSC RMX1450, but in the manual (pdf) it says it only has speakon outputs... however, my avatar cabs have only 1/4" inputs. Are there any type of cables that have speakon to 1/4" ? Or are there any solutions to this other than buying new cabs?

thanks for any comments.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Speakon to 1/4" cables are available. Inquire at your favorite music store.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Adapters. Cheap, painless solution. Don't waste another worry about that. :)

4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Thanks a bunch!

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I recently bought a 1450 and a B112; same problem.

I used a Dremel Mototool (you could do it with a drill and a file) and punched our the lower jack and replaced it with a Speakon.

I like the Speakon's myself but you can buy adapters at www.partsexpress.com .

6. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    ^^ Thanks, I love my avatars. I just wish they had speakon.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If your local store doesn't have a 1/4" to speakon, make your own from parts. If you don't want to mess with a soldering iron, just buy a 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable, snip off one phone plug, then replace with speakon. I'd feel better doing that than using an adapter, but an adapter is cool too.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I added Speakons to both of my Avatar cabinets...

With the right size drill bit (I forget whether is 13/16 or 15/16), it's quite easy. I borrowed a stepped drill bit from work :)