1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabs without speakons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Hey, Im thinking of getting a QSC RMX1450, but in the manual (pdf) it says it only has speakon outputs... however, my avatar cabs have only 1/4" inputs. Are there any type of cables that have speakon to 1/4" ? Or are there any solutions to this other than buying new cabs?

thanks for any comments.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Speakon to 1/4" cables are available. Inquire at your favorite music store.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Adapters. Cheap, painless solution. Don't waste another worry about that. :)

4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Thanks a bunch!

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I recently bought a 1450 and a B112; same problem.

I used a Dremel Mototool (you could do it with a drill and a file) and punched our the lower jack and replaced it with a Speakon.

I like the Speakon's myself but you can buy adapters at www.partsexpress.com .

6. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    ^^ Thanks, I love my avatars. I just wish they had speakon.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If your local store doesn't have a 1/4" to speakon, make your own from parts. If you don't want to mess with a soldering iron, just buy a 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable, snip off one phone plug, then replace with speakon. I'd feel better doing that than using an adapter, but an adapter is cool too.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I added Speakons to both of my Avatar cabinets...

With the right size drill bit (I forget whether is 13/16 or 15/16), it's quite easy. I borrowed a stepped drill bit from work :)