1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MKB, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MKB

MKB

Jul 23, 2016
    I have a Pf800 pf410hlf setting were gain flat volume/bass 3 a clock ultral low/hi on -15 db on mid/treb flat no compressor... First 2 song did good but the third song I let the b string sound by itself about four times thru out the song and suddenly I start to smell like something was burning out of the cab...
    Amp is 800 watts @4 ohms 400 watts @8 ohms cab 800 watts @8 ohms..
    Only 400 watts going to the cab, it wasn't clipping either... do I have a bad cab or its just that the pf series won handle it...

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Watt ratings and volume are not the same. Just because a cab is rated at 800W that doesn't mean you can turn an 800W amp wide open and lay into it without blowing the speaker.

How did the speaker sound when it started smelling? There are signs of distress. Look/listen/smell for those signs.

monsterthompson likes this.
  3. Turn off the Ultra low and set your Bass control at noon. If too bright turn down your Treble and mid to suit. Let us know how that works for you.

chiplexic, And I and Stumbo like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Depending on the venue, the ultra-lo adds undistinguishable rumbling FOH.

Joedog likes this.
  5. MKB

MKB

Jul 23, 2016
    I Didn't use 800 watts that's rated @4 ohms I only use 400 @8 ohms since the cab is rated 800 watts @ 8 ohms..
    I was using in ears (Avioms) I don't know if that's a factor that you couldn't hear a difference in sound it shouldn't since I'm getting the sound from the amp/cab.. But I don't hear any change

6. MKB

MKB

Jul 23, 2016
    I got those settings in order to get the sound I want and everybody else in the band... Maybe I need a 4ohms svt cab

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    It seems like you're pushing the cab you have now pretty hard, I don't think putting more power into the same configuration will help. Try backing off the low end first, definitely try without the ultra low. The HLF is known to be bassy already, boosting down low isn't a good idea. My $0.02

MKB, RiZzBot and Joedog like this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Adding another cab will move more air and you'll need less Watts to power them.

MKB likes this.
  9. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Is there a cross-over in that 410HLF? Could be it has shorted, or a component has fried...

Maybe the tweeter burned out?

BrBss and tekhedd like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My first thought.

11. The difference in volume you’ll get with a 4Ω but otherwise identical cabinet will be hardly noticeable. it would appear that you need a second identical cabinet to get the volume and pick of tonality that you want.

Gizmot and MKB like this.
  12. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Might sound good in the jam space but guaranteed it sounds like indistinguishable rumbly mud to an audience.

At that high of a gain/volume setting and all the bass boosting, you may have blown a voice coil on the speaker. A second 8 ohm cab will help the speakers make the same sound with less of a load on them. I'd still suggest either boost the bass knob or use the ultra low button, but not both at the same time.

MKB likes this.
  13. MKB

MKB

Jul 23, 2016
    i used it the next day and it did the exact same thing... It sounded good the first 2 songs like nothing happen and then stared to smell again..

14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Maybe you're just a smokin hot bass player;)

Seriously, I'd guess a tweeter fried if it has one.

15. Your reliance on numbers is misplaced, specially when you aren't even listening to the cab in your IEM.

Ratings are overrated.

MKB, fttfbass and wave rider like this.
  16. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    Lest it isn't clear yet, something is wrong, and since other players use that combination successfully there's probably something you could do to clear up the problem. Perhaps you all agree that you like the tone, but you're going to fry something if you haven't already. Try the changes that have been suggested and see if a) it helps with the overheating, and b) if the sound is something you can live with.

Or, carry on and let us know what goes up in smoke. I really have trouble understanding people who come here seeking help with a problem, who then reject all assistance offered. Some of these guys are really experienced and knowledgeable. Take advantage of that.

RAF

MKB, fttfbass, The Nameless and 2 others like this.
  17. MKB

MKB

Jul 23, 2016
    That was just for the jam space...
    We runed the sound thru a mixer/subwoofers/speakers the guy in front of the house said sounded pretty good..
    I rather move one cab only...
    Svt 610/810?

And I likes this.
  18. Two smaller cabinets tend to be easier to move than one big one.

MKB likes this.
  19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Sounds like you may need an HPF......if all else fails that is. I'm almost sure you will solve your issue by removing the ultra lo from the equation. Those types of freqs can cause some issues with cabs and freqs. I used to run my GK 1001rb on 5 string all the time when I first got it. Thought it sounded better. Till I got it to a gig and everything just rumbled and shook. I hit that button to 4 string and it was so much better.

jthisdell, alexgeddy and And I like this.
  20. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    Get a cab that has speakers with high efficiency, not just a lot of speakers.
    My 2x12 throws out 103db measured at 1m from the speakers when it is fed just 1 watt.
    Even with a 250w amp it is stupid loud and has lots of headroom.