Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I need some info on cabs. I either want a 4x10 or 1x15 (eventually going to get both). I'm going to be using a QSC 1450 through, at first, my Peavey I have now then to the cab. What are some good quality cabs? I'll have about $250. I'd want the cab at 4 ohms and I'd run it parallel through the QSC so it needs to be able to handle 450 watts. I'm definently looking used because anything under this price range new prolly sucks...right? I want the best quality my money can get me.

Thanks

John

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    drbasscabs.com get a rx series 210 for 250$ +shipping...you wont regret it then you can get a rx series 212 for 300$ you can get both of em in either 8 or 4 ohms. Both handle 500 watts.

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not necessarily!

I will be the first of many to tell you that Avatar makes a 1x15 (compact version, SB115) for $249 + $29 shipping (current price). I don't have that exact model, but I do own their 4x10 ($380 shipped) which is definitely a bargain. I'm sure there are many, many TBers that own the Avatar 1x15 and will attest to it. And that's brand new.

Used, yup, you can probably find something in the $250, but don't count out makers like Avatar or other similarly priced cab companies just because of their price. Anyway, let the suggestions continue... :hyper:

-T

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Q: Is that 1x15 @ 4ohms?

Yeah... a 2x10 really isnt a bad choice. It will definately hold you over I think. It wont move as much air as a 4x10, but thats what your 1x15 will be for, no?

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
  6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I've played enough Avatar cabs(1x15, 2x12, 2x10) to know that they absolutely rock.
    The DR Bass suggestion is pretty damn hip tho.

7. Guys,

I've never seen or heard the Avatars but I've had enough people tell me they are good that I believe it. You can choose speaker brands and front cover grill colors, :bag: ect. They are great for the price.

Barry :bag:

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You can also get a brand new Ashdown 115 for $250, free shipping, from zzounds.com Its 300 watts at 8 ohms. You can get the 410 for $299 which is 350 watts at 8 ohms. Just another option.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    The peavey 115BVX is about $300 new. 4 ohms. It's 400 watts, 800 watts program, so it should work fine with that amp.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I dont think the Avatar 1x15 has a speakon connector. Seems more suited for Daisy chaining... although you dont necessarily need a speakon. I'm pretty sure you can use a bannana to 1/4" cable.

11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I have a 2 cab stack...

Can I go from amp to the first cab's speakon, and then daisy chain to the second cab using 1/4"-1/4"?

IOW:

amp <speakon - speakon> cab 1 <1/4" - 1/4"> cab 2

My avatar cabs both have one speakon and two 1/4" parallel in/out.

:confused:
    :help:

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Actually, if your daisy chaining, I think that's what they Recommend.... speakon to the more powerful cab, and chain it to the other with a 1/4". The Avatar 1x15 mentions nothing about a Speakon on the website... so I'm assuming you dont have that cab.

13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    My post got messed up a bit. So here is my textual diagram again:

amp < speakon - speakon > SB112 <1/4" - 1/4"> B210

Eh? :ninja:

Too bad the more powerful cab (is it really more powerful?) is the bottom one, so I have from the amp to the bottom cab, then back up top. Oh well, sacrifices... :crying:

hehe...

-T

14. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's so weird!

Try typing:

<_speakon - speakon_>

BUT WITHOUT THE "_" (underscores)

It disappears! What the?!

Strange. :scowl:

-T

15. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    this is in avatar's description of the sb115 "It has one speakon connector and dual 1/4 inch in/out jacks for daisy chaining with other speakers."

so you could (if you had to have a speakon) get the more compact 15" cabinet.