Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, May 8, 2002.

1. I was going to get a big combo amp for my new band's practice... but my guitarist went and got enough of a power amp that i can run just a cab.. but i dont know what i want.. i think i want a 410 or maybe a 212 but i want something cheap... it has to be cheap and it needs to be quality

any suggestions would be nice
  2. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Well, cheap and quality are two words that rarely go together in music equipment.

What's your budget when you say cheap? $0-?
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dunno if there's many 4x10 or 2x12 bass combo's out there, but for that size, you're gonna need a separate preamp/poweramp setup. cab wise, Genz Benz and Bad End made good quality boxes. pretty sure they make both a 4x10 or 2x12. Nemesis sound ok, but i dont like their quality.

From what i've seen, 2x12's are usually 15-20 lbs. lighter than their 4x10 buds. 4x10s are also more articulate, in your face, and cut thru a dense mix easier, but all at the expense of a little low end and massive weight. 12" speakers are my fav, and 2x12's have a good combo of punch and low end response. i play alot of slap, and the 2x12's i've played are articulate enough for me.
  4. i have teh power for sure... this pa/mixer/reciever was $2,000 + my budget is 600 dollars
  5. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Well, for $600 you could get an Aguilar 2x12 or a used Epifani 2x12. Bergantino used would probably fall in there somewhere but I've never seen a used one...pretty good endorsement, huh?

For 4x10's, you can pick up a used Goliath, Eden 410 XLT, probably a Trace cab or one of those big super ported Ampegs (whatever the model numbers are). $600 is actually a pretty good price bracket if you're looking at getting just one quality cab, as long as you buy used.