1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldCrow, Jul 25, 2012.

1. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    I am picking the bass back up after a 13 year hiatus. I'm switching over from guitar to bass in my band and need some guidance on cabs. I have a Sunn (Fender) 2x15 that's 300 watts, I've ordered a Matamp GT200 (well I will be on Friday...) and was wondering what other cab I should get to pair with the 2x15.

I was thinking of an Emperor 6x10 or seeing if they would be willing to build a 1x18. Another option would be to wait around and see if an Orange 4x10 pops up (I can also get artist pricing on the Orange if I wanted to buy new), any other suggestions as to what I should hunt around for? Ampeg? GK? The new Hartke AKs?

It's a stoner rock type band, think Clutch meets Bongzilla etc...
    I'm using a MIM J and a Bluebeard for some grit if I need it, though it doesn't get along with the Coliseum when it's maxed out.

2. How about another 2X15?

3. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    Certainly not out of the question. I'm looking for something with mids that sound pretty grindy, almost like broken glass.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You haven't even got your amp yet...wait and see what happens when you get your amp first.

5. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    What's going to happen when I get my amp? I know I'll need another cab for sure.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    See how it sounds with your speakers. What tone of it you like...what's missing, etc. I know Stoner or Doom or whatever it is is supposed to be loud, but, that's what PA's are for. When your stage rig can already go louder than a drumset, it doesn't need to be any louder. A PA that can handle drums can handle bass too.

That said, if it turns out your 215 is too farty, reloading with some more modern, higher percormance speakers may be one option. Another way is to use a biamped rig and have your bass rig play the lows and use a guitar amp for distorted mids/highs. It's the low frequencies guitar rigs have a problem with, they can sound quite cool with a bass if you dial the bass out of them and use a bass rig to just play the lows.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well if you're positive you'll need more, if it were me, I'd chuck it and get an 810 instead. A standard 215 puts out roughly equivalent to a standard 410. Wouldn't get Emperor, though. They look good and they're popular with the doom/stoner bands, but they're not made very well for bass.

8. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    Not trying to be contrary but I'd say 90% of our shows have a house PA that's enough for vocals and MAYBE kick and that's about it. I don't know if I want to go down the biamped rig route, too deep of a rabbit hole, though picking up a 4x10 and running my JMP with the GT200 would be pretty sweet.

These two bolded statements seem to contradict each other JimmyM is basically saying "they throw speakers in a box" and Will is saying "throw new speakers in that box"

Every band I've played with that's had Emperor bass gear has sounded good to me. Not saying "oh XYZ uses these so they must be great" but more like, oh I've heard them in person with a SVT, or an ACC and they sounded awesome and sat well in the mix.

8x10 is an option but I'm not 100% sure it'll fit in my car :crying:

9. Hmm sounds like you have already made your mind up.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No contradiction there. I just didn't type out every last detail of modeling different drivers, measuring and reverse engineering box sizes/port tunings, etc.

The emporer stuff isn't really engineered much. They do just throw speakers in boxes. Sometimes you roll a 7, sometimes you crap out. They popular because they're cheap and loud. Neither of those things equate to good tone.

I'd still wait 'till you get your amp and go from there. Mixing together different speaker cabs is also a crapshoot, especially when you haven't heard what your rig is going to sound like with what you've got/are getting.

11. I'm assuming you're getting the MKII GT200 so it's a little different from my MKI but in my opinion you should be fine with a 215. If you're playing venues with minimal PA then chances are you won't have room on the stage for another big cab. Try it out with the cab you have, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you have a PA that can handle kick, it should handle bass. However, I'm going to guess that the PA's you use really shouldn't be handling kick ;)

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You already have a guitar rig, you could do a "poorman's biamp" for a while, just to see if it's something you might like. That means just turn the mid and treble knob down on the bass amp and the bass knob down on the guitar amp. Run like that for a bit. That'll make a difference too as to what kind of speakers to be looking at shoukd you choose to reload your current cab. Some have incredible lowend performance. The trade-off for getting that is crappy mids and no highs. That would be what you use if you have other dedicated mid/high speakers. Others have a more balanced response and are made to sound good fullrange by themselves/don't need other speakers to help the topend.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    May as well go ahead and look up what a fEARful 1515/66 is. Somebody will be along shortly to tell you that's what you need.:D

In the case of playing Doom without the help of a PA, it's good advice.

15. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Already spent some big bucks on a really nice hand built amp, so why would You wanna cheap out on one of the most important parts of Your rig (the cab)? IMO-I would take a look at a Greenboy Dually or a couple of Bassics. It would stay with the vibe, and give You a way better sound than most other offerings. Not to bash, but The threads I've read around here on the Emperor stuff, left Me with the impression that they dont know a heck of a lot about how to build a good bass cab (pretty wood, with no bracing, dampening, or audio engineering involved).

16. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    Probably :p

Not entirely though, a lot of this stuff takes time to build so I just want to get the ball rolling into what I should be looking at.

17. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    I think the "sometimes rolling a 7" would apply to most rigs, to your point about waiting as well, it's an entire system so there's no way to tell for certain what will and will not work.

18. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    Man you have no idea, part of me also doesn't want to give up control to some sound dude who's just a jaded musician who couldn't cut it playing an instrument either :D

19. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    Not a bad route to go, but I also don't want to step on the guitar players toes...too much. I'm going to avoid going the biamp route mostly to avoid having to carry that much more gear, watching Jared Warren load in is like see a clown car unload.

20. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    Totally agree on the cab part, I've always argued that the cab/speakers are probably the most important part of the system. I don't want to cheap out per se, I think the Sunn (Fender) 2x15 will cut it, but I do know that I'll need more surface area, just to fill the room, not necessarily to be louder. As for the Emperor stuff, I wouldn't believe as much if I had seen as many bands as I have make them work, and sound good in my opinion. I'm not asking about being in a funk band and having a GT200 and some Emperor cabs and a Bluebeard :D

As for the Dually stuff, looks interesting but over engineer to some extent, nothing about being in a rock band is about being in the perfect situation, where that kind of math makes THAT big of a difference. A Dually can sound awesome in one room while sounding like ass in another, totally depends on the vibe of the room, as is the case with just about any cab really.