CAD/CAM bass finished!...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Dec 24, 2000.

1. ...well pretty much done. I thought that I would get some pics up here so that yall could get a good look see over the holidays.

Of course you'll notice the empty holes in the body. Those are to be filled with the pots of a Fender preamp but I haven't located the needed switch for the setup that I want. Rather than have to take it all out again, I left'em open. Sorry for the crudeness.

What you see here is the results of about 60 hours of work. The 2 piece body is maple and was designed on the computer and routed from a blank that I made. I purchased the wood locally and did all of the joinery with the help of a friend with a planer and joiner (c'mon Santa!) All of the components were measured and entered into the computer to do all inletting and drilling. The neck is a used Warmoth, purchased off of Ebay that I reconditioned. It's birdseye maple with an ebony fingerboard. I used steel inserts and stainless steel machine screws for mounting instead of the usual wood screws. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Basslines Jazz Antiquities. The preamp has treble/bass boost and cut, volume and a passive/active swithch. I am adding an additional pickup selector switch (thats whats holding up the works). The bridge is a Schaller roller that's been modified for stringing through the body. The tuners are an inexpensive but well made set that feature adjustable gear lash. The nut is my own design and is fashioned from T6-6061 aircraft aluminum. All mounting hardware is stainless steel.

Though I haven't done a final tally on costs, it looks like just over $450 not including the additional specialty tools I needed for construction.

Yep, there were several mistakes made during construction. Some were just stoopid, others were caused by inattention to details. All have been corrected both on the bass and in the data files. The really neat thing is that whenever I want, I can just build another to my liking.
  2. That's quite a looker. Nice work!
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very nice hammy! you should go into the business :D
  4. Thanx JT and Steamboat, the idea is being discussed right now as a matter of fact. I could never compete with the big boys, but I might be able to create a pseudo-custom/boutique line that would feature upgraded quality and custom items. A local shop has expressed an interest in perhaps carrying some of my work on commission. It's all just too soon to know.

Man, that would be the thing though wouldn't it?
  5. Dude, that thing looks so cool. I wish I was smart enough and was good at building things, and had some $$$. Oh well :D
  6. Bassline, the neat thing about this is that you can collect parts - one at a time - until you have the complete instrument. Then you can have someone help put it together. This project has taken a little less than 4 months to complete. Most of that time was spent designing or just looking for a particular piece. If you have a clear idea what you want, just get each piece as you can. I've used this same method to build 2 racecars and it really works.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, Hambone, that thing is schaweet!

Why no closeups of the back? ;) j/k

I wish I had access to the equipment to build a beauty like that. If I ever build my own, I will have to go the Warmoth or Stew-Mac route.

Congratulations, man. The body looks awesome. Solidbody flame like that is a $600 upgrade from most builders, or $300 for a 1/2" top.
  8. Damn, you caught me! (pants around ankles)

There aren't any closeups of the back cuz:

1) When I went to install the coverplate, I could have sworn I had enough of the right sized screws - I actually had neither. There isn't anything wrong with the back though.

2) My pic hosting site gets a little quirky when larger files are stored for downloading. As a composite shot, I try to keep them under 80k.

Don't worry, I'll be breakin' out the 35mm and getting some real detail for you in a few days. I'll just have 'em processed to CD and probably go to Photopoint for posting.
  9. embellisher

I was just ribbin ya, Hambone. I remember in the thread in Setup you mentioned that the through body string holes were a little uneven.

I wish that I had access to Computer controlled routing equipment.
  10. er, it was probably actually me that you read saying that the thru-body string holes on the bass I'd put together from Warmoth parts were a bit out of line, embellisher.:oops:(lack of access to a drill press).:mad:
    nice one, Hambone.
    I notice you've done some contouring on the neck block- something I've noticed might need attention on my Warmoth P-bass- the classic Fender problem of access to the top of the neck, even though I only ever use the 21st fret on one song- to get the high E in the end fill at the end of Pearl Jam's "Alive".
    what type of switch are you going to use for pickup selection? I used a 5way 4-pole rotary type from allparts for mine.
    are you considering making a flame maple control cavity coverplate? that would look amazing.:D

11. Tell you what MTR, lets take this portion of the discussion over to the Setup area where we can take it anywhere we want to go. I just ranted a little bit on my forum about keeping on topic. We'll leave these guys to their "Duh, which is best - Ibanez or Fender?" type threads :rolleyes:
  12. embellisher

Sorry about the confusion, Hambone.:oops:

I forgot that was MTR with the string through issue.