CAD/CAM bass update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Sep 16, 2000.

1. Well, things have progressed at a rate that doesn't make my wife happy (we're getting the house ready to sell and move) but I'm quite pleased.

The design for the body is almost finished. Understand that the design has all of the cavities and holes prelocated for fabrication right on the router. I am lacking my bridge (Gotoh 206) for establishing the mounting holes and string holes through the body but will probably get one on order this week. It seems I just lost out on a new one on ebay cause some joker doesn't know that he can get it cheaper from one of the parts houses. I am also working on the neck attachment arrangment. I don't particularly like the Fender style neckplate for my design and will likely use the individual bolts with ferrules. Yes, I did say bolts! This neck will be mounted by panhead stainless steel machine bolts that will screw into steel threaded inserts in the neck itself. I have always wanted to mount a neck this way and now I'll have the chance. The tuners are in from Stewart Macdonald and I was a little disappointed by one feature. They are certainly high quality, but I am not tremendously excited by the length of the tuning key shaft. I really dig the long shafts and these aren't them. Sort of like the Squier length. I will mount them though and use them until I make other arrangements.

For pickups, I made a trade down at the local store and got a new set of Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz pups. The guys down there swear by them and the deal was one that I couldn't pass up. I would love to go active on this project but I don't think the budget is going to allow it so these will have to do for now.

Wood selection for the body has been a real stumbling block. I scoped out local sources and found plenty to choose from but prices were a bit steep. Then got on the net and shopped about 30 different sources. Whew! what an education. I have finally decided that instead of mahogany that I will be doing the body from figured maple. A bit heavier but I'm a big guy and the extra weight doesn't bother me at all. The chance to have a body from some real looker wood is more than I can resist. I have found a source for pre-packaged boards of birdseye/tiger/curly maple in 10 BF packs. The price is great for this type of wood and I'll start there. Lamination and blank sizing will start when the wood arrives. I've decided to stain the maple a deep mahogany color to make the contrast that I was going for in the first place. That should be an interesting process.

If and it's a big if the project continues on budget as it has so far, I'll have a new custom Jazz bass for around $350 dollars. There are other ways of doing it but everything but the neck is brand new and even I won't be able to tell that the neck isn't new after I've done the work on it.

Oh, by the way, I'll have full size patterns of the body available for folks that want one. I'll let you know more about that little offer a bit later down the road.

Thanx for the interest!

[Edited by Hambone on 09-16-2000 at 11:12 PM]
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Going for a real bright tone with the maple body, huh? The Warmoth catalog has a nice writeup on different tonal qualities of different woods.
  3. Eli, now that you mention it, No, I was mostly making the choice from an economic and aesthetic standpoint. But you are right that it will be brighter than some of the less dense or softer woods. Come to think of it, with the ebony fingerboard, it will probably be REALLY bright. I might want to consider a different string choice rather than my usual for this particular bass. My real motivation for the figured maple was that it is much harder to get figured woods in mahogany, or walnut (though not impossible) and the cost of this is going to be under $6/BF with shipping. Since this is a "custom" bass, it might as well look like one.

By the way, if things go well, I might be able to hook up with a Duncan active EQ circuit. That would be a help to gain some additional control over the natural acoustics of the woods.