1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cad inlay conversion help available

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tribal3140, Oct 24, 2006.

1. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    custom inlay design for CNC's

If anyone wants an inlay converted to vector for thier CNC.
    or wants it designed the a file made into
    DXF or any other auto cad file let me know
    I can help you.
    I've been doing for a while now.
    as well as logo design.
    I can help
    I think..:ninja:

NO STRINGS ATTACHED!!!!!!! (time is my only limiter- if I have it I will do it)
    I hope this clears any gray area up!

T

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    uhhh ... under the commercial user agreement, you simply can't make posts like this dude. You'll get a nice warning or time-out from Paul if he were to read this ... unless you get some kind of special treatment that most commercial users don't

Might I suggest you promptly delete this post.

all the best,

R

3. unless it is a free offer

4. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    its a free offer.
    (when I have the time).
    I am not saying i will charge any $$

I offered help.

too quick to judge.

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Actually, I was wondering that myself, so I wouldn't say he was too quick to judge. If it's a free offer, than no harm, no foul, though you might want to edit the original post. :)

6. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    what is in the original post that would even notion at I was going to solicit for anything?

I said "help available"
    It dosent infer or insinuate there would be any charge of any kind.

???

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    The word "service" or "$$$" is not mentioned but "help available" is.
    I agree with you.

8. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    definitely NOT too quick to judge

and since you asked, here you go

Commercial user policy rule #1
    since you are offering a service - even though it is free - you are NOT allowed to make the initial post. you can only post a response to an inquiry about that subject. So you could always get a friend to ask a baited question and then answer it by noting that you do that service for free. But ... you cannot initiate a thread about a product or service you offer - even if that service is free.

now that this is settled, I urge you to be a gentleman about this and please remove this thread. An alternative would be to have this discussion thread moved to your sponsored forum where you do have the priviledge of posting this kind of commercial thread.

all the best,

R

9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    That also means a commercial user cant offer anything tangeable [including help in any way] outside their forum.

This has nothing to do with my being a commercial user.

I also started a thread about my first bass build-
    should that be taken down because I am a commercial user though nothing in that thread has a shred of relevance to my user status? [Just the facts of my build and If I can offer help in that capacity for free would I be allowed to do that without scrutiny?]

I certianly dont think so, and its YOUR interperitation of the CUP
    and You are not a mod if they see it fit, then I relinquish to thier rank and judgement as a mod.

I dont really see why you have taken it upon yourself to go into martyrdom for me offering to help to other builders in my free time, For free. I know At least one smaller luthier has recently purchased a CNC.

I am joining the ranks of the builder one bass at a time but If I can help anyone its like for me paying it foward! Because I sure would love help if someone out there could help me!

I have had a lot of bad things happen to me this year

I almost died form CO poisioning and I got screwed $5000.00 by a luthier.
    I am offering help out of altruistic endeavor.

I will not remove this post and unless a mod sees it that I am trying to work and angle other than help from one aspiring luthier to another.

Thats my opinion on it,
    as a gentleman.

After my near death exp this year I have truly learned what is worth fighting for and a silly little offer of help to a small time luthier isnt it.

I wont reply again regarding this matter to anyone unless they want help with the conversion or inlay design.

10. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Mr. Tribal3140,
    I am 100 % behind you!

Rodent: You make me sad dude, maybe you're right but this doesn't make sence at all..
    I really don't think this is what talkbass is about..

11. Rodent: Don't take this personal, but that statement of yours is pretty idiotic. You mean that just because he's a commersial user, he has no right to provide help to other users in the form of a free service on something that most of the new builders can't do by themselves. If he would do it according to your way of intrepreting the rules (you're not a mod, are you, so your personal oppinion isn't the board managements oppininon) then everyone would have to start a new thread to get help. So isn't better to have all requests of this kind contained in one thread? Plus that I presume that the management of this board value a service (which is free) that the users have a lot to gain from more than us following the rules to an extent that just does not make sence. So until a mod says it's wrong or right, he has all the right to post that. And again I hope that the mods, if they find this wrong, go easy on mr tribal3140 since the rules does not clearly forbid this kind of "advertisment" for a clearly free service.

12. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    as much as my opinion on this topic sucks, it is the burden we must bear as a commercial user. agreed that I am not a mod and that I have no official determination on this topic.

however, it should be noted that if this thread is allowed to remain I would like to voice that we should have a review of the enforcement of this policy. other mods on other forums would have tossed this thread by now and issued a warning to the original poster. either this kind of initial posting by a commercial user is allowed in all of TB land, or it is not

all the best,

R

13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi Stuggi,

You're right, he isn't a mod. However, I am :D , and I already have posted a public response as well as a private one. I do not think that it's constructive for folks here to start taking shots at Rodent for putting voice to a legitimate concern. Perhaps he did overstate it a bit, but that's neither here nor there.

Tribal is a commercial user, period. Because of this, in my opinion (and in those of other mods, by the way) it is a good idea to draw the distinction in no unsimple terms from the get-go. Yes, it doesn't say tribal is selling anything. But as a CU, it helps to make it perfectly clear that he is offering to do something for free. That is why I mentioned in my response that it may be a good idea to edit the original post to say so.

I think the point has been beaten to death. Still, I don't want to close this thread, as tribal is making a generous offer and it wouldn't be fair to deny any users access to that. Please let the public conflict end here so it doesn't mess up this thread. If you want to discuss it further, pm me or John.

14. Geez guys, think your way out of this and lets get on with it...

All tribal has to do is respond to a question about an inlay service. Then he can discuss the service ad nauseum from that point on. So here goes...

Hmm, does ANYONE know of a place I could get some headstock inlays done up? ;)

15. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    original post edited.

NO STRINGS ATTACHED !

If theres a complex inlay you need vectorized then converted to .DXF, .DWG
    If I have the time i will most certianly help out
    Rock on!:bassist:

hambone that was a simultaneous post.
    Shoot!

16. I think there's nothing wrong with his original post.

The service he's offering doesn't even have anything to do with his business.

17. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Please don't bring it up again.

18. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Tribal
    Am i to understand if I sent yiu an image, You could convert it to a file I might give to someone in the future to use for inlays, decals or sinage etc.
    I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer as far as cad files so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

19. Jim, the ruling made by the mod is absolutely correct and questioning that is, in and of itself, a violation of forum rules. If you have further comment, you really should take it to PM.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021