Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CAD-like software for Mac?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey all,

All of my designing/sketches so far has been with pencil, eraser, butcher paper, a couple straight edges, and a protractor. I enjoy the drafting approach, and am not even sure if I'd like to try a CAD approach. If I do decide to dabble, I'm wondering if anyone knows of software for a Mac? As far as I can find, AutoDesk products are for Windows. Now, I've got a Windows computer that would fit the bill, but I've got this new Mac here, and I'd like to see if she's the workhorse that Steve says she is.

I appreciate your suggestions!

paul

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I use VectorWorks -- it's a VERY powerful program.

3. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I use TurboCad which I picked up at SF MacWorld.

4. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I use illustrator not full on cad but really good for working with curves.

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks guys, I may look in to them...still haven't decided if I'll give it a try ;)

6. Hey all, I recently switched from PC to Mac and I am also looking for a CAD software package. All of the above mentioned products are quite expensive. Does anyone know of an inexpensive solution?

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that my Mac is new, and therefore I'm broke :crying: ?

BTW: Hey Wilser, what do you think about your Mac?

8. I got an iMac for my wife about 6 months ago. I loved it, that's why I decided to switch, also because I won't be doing any freelance IT consulting anymore. I got a new MacBook Pro. I've only had it for less than a week, so far it's even better than the iMac G5's.

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Nice! I went with the new iMac, 17", 1G ram, big drive. First time Mac owner, love it. If you do get a CAD program, let me know: I'd be interested to hear how it works out. I'm in the debate stage, so it may be a while yet for me...

10. if u go to the apple website .click the osx tab. then ull see another tab that says download. its full of freeware ,demo and shareware programs. i downloaded maccad which is a simple cad program that is free. u should check it out god i love mac.

11. I use Canvas 9.

12. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Huh...couldn't find "maccad," but I did find some other ones. I hope I don't blow up my computer with one of them...

13. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I did this a while back with C4D version 6 on a Mac. Basschair, you can have the version I did this with, box, manuals, whole bit if you want it for the price of postage. If you're willing to download it :eyebrow: newer versions can be found :ninja:

It's not "CAD accurate" but it's relatively easy to use and renders nice. Works on Mac & PC too.

Attached Files:

14. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

pm sent

15. Another PM if Basschair doesn't nab it.

Even though postage would be more for me, I'd love to try my hand at it.

Peace
    Drake

Oh yeah, and if I don't get Moo's, are there any freeware or shareware CAD programs like it? That is assuming that C4D isn't...

16. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  17. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I have been using Silo:

http://www.nevercenter.com/

I am a computer graphics artist by trade so that is what I have it for. It is mostly meant for organic modelling (creatures etc) but you can be precise with it and it has some nice snapping tools (so you can allign things with each other).

I don't know how it compares to Cad programs because I havn't really used them but it is pretty cheap ( $110 ) and if you buy now you will get version 2 for free.

I have used a lot of modelling programs and silo is nicer than most of them.

I don't know how you would go about printing plans from it though... if that is what you want to do.

18. Hahah, there's even a bass in the 'Anim8or' gallery.

Crap! Anim8or is windows only! Why?!?! :mad:
    Blender looks like it's only Panther +, so I guess I'm out of luck there too. Oh well, maybe 3D bass drawing is not for me :crying:

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Upgrade to panther, I have OS10.4.5 running perfectly on a G4 733.

In response to your PM go to http://maxon.net and download the demo. You can't save or render to a file but you can do stuff, render and take screenshots. It's a relatively easy program and you should get an idea if this is going to be too tough. There are a bunch of sample scenes and tutorials so it's a good way to get a taste.

Another idea is to get Blender running in Linux on your G4, that's free but will take at least a few hours.

20. ive been useing Alibre Design u can draw the parts out in 2d cad and it will make it 3d or u can work the othere way. its really nice program and free. check it out.