1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caervin B1500 woe. Here's a new one....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I took my new B1500 to a gig last night. I have literally 10 minutes of playing time on the thing, and that was just at "in the house" volume. We get done setting up, and have about an hour before people are going to show up and we are to start playing. The guitarist wanted to go over something, so we did so. I had the EQ flat, the drive at about 50 percent, and the master volume on 3. Certainly not anything that should tax the amp at all. 3 minutes into the song, the bass cut out. I look back at my amp. Uh Oh. The light is off. I'm hoping and praying the power cord fell out. Wrong. As I walk back towards my amp.......that scent we all know and fear hit me. Then the magic smoke could be seen escaping.
    Damn. This amp had less than 15 minutes playing time on it and it fried. I guess tomorrow will show how good Carvin's customer service is. I REALLY don't want to pay shipping back to CA for an amp with less than 15 minutes on it. I also have A LOT of gigs coming up. Luckily, I was only a half an hour from home, and I had my new Markbass mini P121 combo. After a call to the girlfriend to meet me half way with the amp, it performed flawlessly... I just used the head portion of the combo into my SA410, and it sounded great.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that...but I have had reliability problems with the two Carvin heads I owned, so it doesn't surprise me. Hopefully you get it straightened out quickly. Good luck.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Did you buy it brand new from Carvin recently? If so, shouldn't they be paying to send it in under warranty service?

4. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I hope it's a fluke. I just liquidated 2 SVT's (a 4 and a 3) and switched to a B1500 which I love!!! No probs yet.

5. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out well for you.

6. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Bummer. In my experience with Carvin, they should send you a shipping label or schedule a pickup with no cost to you. They probably will not send a replacement before getting the defect back unless you allow them to charge and then credit your credit card for the replacement.

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Sorry to hear about that. I had one and never had any issues with it. They really are built like tanks!

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Just a bad unit. Call Mon and request a call tag for pick up. I've had mine for 3 + years w/no problems.

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    That's a familiar story for me. My first gig with my B1500 had the same results about 15 minutes into the show. The amp shut down, had that burnt electronics smell going on and my singer said he saw smoke coming out of the the thing (yikes). Like you, I was playing at a relatively low volume as our first set was for an early dinner time crowd. Had to finish that gig with a direct box into the PA (grr).

However, I am happy to report that Carvin customer service was excellent. They issued a call tag with UPS and it was picked up within a day or two, so no return shipping charge. They offered me the option of cross-shipping a new one, but as lowmid1 pointed out, I had to allow them to charge my credit card again and then issue a refund when they received the defective unit. Wasn't a big deal for me since I knew it would never be an out of pocket expense with my AmEx card.

I received the new B1500 a few days later (and my refund a few days after that). The new B1500 has now got me through at least 20-25 gigs over the past two or three months and I can honestly say I have no worries about the reliability of it at this point. From the few instances I have read about this happening to people, I'm gathering that this seems to occur the first time the (defective) B1500 sees some signicant use...such as a gig or band rehearsal, unfortunately. If you can make it through that, you'll most likely be alright LOL!!

Good luck.

10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Even the best of companys occasionally have duds. Just be glad you had a back up rig! ;)

11. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Sor far I'm a happy owner/user of a B1500 bought brand new and on sale. Hope you get it all straightend out Cheeze.

12. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I interpret this to mean that you didn't give it some good break-in and testing before gigging with it. That's never a good idea, if true. You won't find professional race car drivers taking a new car out onto the track without running it through its paces first. I always test my equipment thoroughly before I bring it to a gig, and I usually bring a spare head with me. Anyway, if you *did* test it out beforehand and it blew at the gig anyway, sorry to hear that.
    - Mike

13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The amp was played at home. Although heavy testing may be a good idea in practice, it isn't always practical. I did have a backup at home, which I used. After I made the mad dash home to get the replacement, I remembered Tom Bowlus lives about 10 minutes from where the gig was at. DUH.

Anyway, I will call Carvin tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully it will all get straightened out. If they send a call tag for the damaged amp, and immediately ship me a new amp, I'll be satisifed. I don't mind them charging the second amp to my credit card as long as the charge is refunded when they get the damaged amp back.

14. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Too bad...............I can identify though. I had to send back two of the new BX1200 heads due to performance issues. I ended up getting the Genz-Benz GBE 1200 Head. I know it is more money, but man is it worth it. I can't believe the sound of the GB...............Tube chanel, Solid State channel, even blendable between the two:D!

15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You can be sure if I have to send the second one back, I'll go with a different amp.

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Good lord, we should all be so lucky. "Tom Bowlus, always good in a pinch." :D

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't think anyone would question you...

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Cheez, that sux. I hope Carvin does right by you. I've beat the crap out of mine even at 2 ohms, bought it used, and not had any probs. Good luck, my friend.

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My B800 has been nothing but reliable for me, too. I bought it from Vic, so I'll just blame him if stuff goes wrong... :D

20. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tom has saved my butt on a few occasions! I'm indeed lucky to live so near him.