Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cafe Walter HA-1 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Dec 22, 2005.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've pretty much made up my mind in that the Cafe Walter is the right headphone amp for me, but another question just popped into my head that I can't seem to find the answer to.
    Has anyone put thier effects chains or preamps into the Cafe Walter? Any clipping going on when an input hotter than an instrument is used? I've seen that users are having no problems with thier 18v basses, but no mention about the pres.

edit: I didn't really specify onboard vs outboard pres. I'm curious about outboards like the Avalon, Ampeg, etc.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Effects, Yes. Preamps, No. I have run my effects chain into the Walter and it is not a problem. I think that the preamp question depends on which preamp and how you intend to use it. The Walter has a lot of headroom, but if you are slamming it with a line level source I think you would run out of it. BTW, 18v preamps don't have much more (if any)output than 9v preamps, just more headroom at their input.

One thing that might work if the preamp was too much is to run it into the aux input. That seems to be less sensitive.

The Walter is an excellent piece of gear, and I actually own two (one is on loan), but it is great as a practice amp. It isn't meant to be a swiss-army knife.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  4. My Cafe Walter is completely clean even when slapping using a very high output active bass (e.g., an MTD535). So, I don't think you will have a problem. Also, I don't think 18v. vs. 9v. on-board preamps have anything to do with more or less gain.

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Like KJung, I run high output basses (OBP-1 @ 18V) with no problems. It may sound kind of crazy, but I often run my Avalon U-5 into the HA-1A, and I've also tried out a SABDDI into it-- no clipping!

I think you'd be hard pressed to make the Cafe Walter clip with most any preamp unless you really pushed the gain hard.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Great to hear. The U5 is one on the list that I would be running into it. Just didn't know if it would take it.