1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cafe Walter + iPod Nano + Velcro = ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lia_G, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    A very cool practice rig, especially for charting and / or learning tunes via MP3, which I have to do a lot. The iPod Nano is the perfect size, almost exactly as tall as the Cafe Walter is deep, so it velcros on and looks like it was made to be there.

Showing the velcro:
    [​IMG]

Ready to go:
    [​IMG]

And the view from the front:
    [​IMG]

Best little practice setup I've ever had.

Cheers

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    sweet!

now how much does one of those Cafe Walter's run? hmmm...?

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Very cool. I find the Cafe Walter is priceless for figuring out tunes - the amplification is so accurate, nothing else can touch it.

Also be careful with those headphones - they are made for processed music. Playing your bass through those could easily send them to the trash bin.

4. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves my Cafe Walter. I run my macbook pro through it and use the Amazing Slow Downer to change tempos and keys. It's a priceless practice tool.

I paid $179 for my Cafe Walter I believe, and $45 for the Amazing Slow Downer. It's an investment I don't regret.

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks. They work great so far. I don't crank things through the headphones, though.

Cheers

6. am sorry but what are you guys talking about? could anyone elucidate a bit?

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

I use ASD as well (Sony Viao tho')...

8. iBook - tick
    ASD - tick
    Raven Labs PHA-1 - incoming

Killer practice rig.

What headphones are you guys using?

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I use the AKG K271. I absolutely love these headphones - exceptional tone, they are durable, and are very comfortable.

10. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    I use Shure E2cs as I have found that they sound exactly the same in my ears as my bass does through the monitors in the studio, so I know what I am hearing is what it will actually sound like.

11. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    +1 I use these for practice as well. In that setting, they even sound better than my E4's.

12. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Another +1 for the E2c's.

If you need cans, try Sennheiser HD 280's.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Looks neat, and I'm sure the sound is great, but the same function can be served by the Tascam MP-3 bass trainer. It's 1 piece (small enough to fit in your pocket) and has some other bass-friendly features (tuner, pitch and tempo changeability, etc). The only drawback is the small chore of getting the tunes into it.

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Good idea!

15. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Funny isn't it? I spent a long time and a lot of money finding what works best and the E2c's are just spot on, whereas on paper they aren't the best. I also find personally that the foam sleeves are really comfortable on these. I use Grado SR60s for music (again, on paper not the best in the range, but sound the best to my ears) but can't use them for bass really because they make the diaphragm vibrate against the cushions and when there are tiny hairs in there they make a rattle. I also have some Sennheiser HD212s but being closed back and anything but flat they sound very different to how the bass ACTUALLY sounds, but still 'nice'. I just like to hear what is being played without any colouration.

16. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I agree-- the E2c's are pretty darn good buds.

I had the same experience with the SR60's (rattle when used for bass) but they do sound great for listening to music.

The open backed Senn's (I use HD580's) sound a lot better IMO than the closed ones.

Peace,

Matt

17. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I use Ableton Live for transcribing stuff, but I already had it. Way too expensive to buy just for that.

Is the Cafe Walter's aux input stereo? My Earwig's input is mono, and it's a little irritating sometimes.

18. I use the CD version of the Tascam and I feed it via the aux input from my G5. I use the Slow Downer for pitch and tempo changes as it seems more stable than that built into the Tascam unit. All in all it works very well.

Paul

19. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I am selling my 280's. I think they are way shy in the low end.

20. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    True. Actually, though, I like the modular approach. The Cafe Walter is, to my ears, a much better headphone amp than the Tascam. And with the iPod, I can also just listen to the tunes away from the bass, in my car or wherever. When I have to learn cover tunes I just make a playlist in iTunes and sync it over to the iPod. If I don't already own the album, I can buy the singles on iTunes as well.

I think the Tascam is a cool little device. This setup just works better for me all around.

Cheers