Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cafe Walter - Limited only by your headphones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abemas, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    For those of you that have this little headphone amp...are there any limitations to the sound they produce...namely...can they handle a low B? Or is this more a question of the quality of headphones you use with them? Also, Walter recommends two headphones for the unit...do any of you use anything else you like better?

2. I love my Cafe Walter. I'm using Bose Triport headphones with them (I know the audiophile guys don't like them... but the bass response is GREAT). The low B sounds fine.... you get a little bit of 'flutter' but nothing that's a bother. For a practice amp, it's the best I've ever experienced... much better than, for example, the Fodera private practice amp, that very easily overloads.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'two headphones for the unit'?

3. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005

According to the FAQ for the amp, Walter recommends using the Koss PortaPro or the Sennheiser HD280.

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Mine goes great with a pair of Shure earbuds.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The Walter is great. Would love to hear what "The Other Walter" could do with a 500 watt class D head!

W

6. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005

So you would also agree that the headphone amp produces a nice sounding low b?

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I use mine with sennheiser 555s, which are a great can and a great deal (check them out on www.headphone.com). It sounds better than any of my amps, and I have really nice amps! Its a great little box.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Without question.

9. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    The PortaPro is a fine headphone for the price. But buying a $170 headphone amp and then using it with $50 headphones seems kind of dumb to me.

10. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    Are you using the earbuds for playing your bass and getting a good low end out of them?

11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I found the HD-280's to have excellent volume with great attenuation of external noise and more than adequate low end right down to the B-string but I found them to be rather honky throughout the midrange.

I didn't think they were all that comfy either especially not for long periods of wear... They got really hot and were much too bulky.

I preferred the AKG 240's (more even response, lighter weight, more comfortable but with less volume and attenuation and perhaps just a smidgen less bottom) but I'm not sure how they would pair up with the Cafe Walter as I have not played it.

12. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

Yes, and yes.

Here's a link to test data (scrolldown). There's a measured freq response curve.

http://www.woodartistry.com/linkwitzlab/reference_earphones.htm

edit: a closer look shows that the curve is not for the Shure buds, but the link does provide some info that might be of value.

13. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You will pretty much be limited by the headphones when it comes to percieved frequency response on the Walter. The thing is freaky-linear. I use mine for practice as well as doing setups and working on electronics and if I am getting blown out by too much low end (like when doing a strat pickup setup) I'll actually use a crappy pair of rat shack cans or my MoreMe cheapies that have a lot of rolloff. I don't need all of that range or have my cochlea thrummed that hard all the time.

When I do want the low end fiesta I've been running AKG240DFs with a cMoy-style booster amp and the Walter shows tons of detail as low as your ears can go.