1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cafe Walter not very loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phishaholik, Apr 19, 2006.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a Cafe Walter that I bought off of the classifieds here. The amp is not very loud and I've heard this amp has a ton of headroom. I have to turn 3/4 of the way up to hear it clearly and all the way up isn't very loud. I think it is the headphones I am using. They are AKG K271 Studio headphones. They are 55 ohms. What headphone's are other people running with your Walters and what is the impedance? Anyone else have the same problem?

Mike

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've used Sennheiser 545, 555, and the little sealed AKGs (K18s or some such) ... and I can get blow-your-ears-out loud with the volume for either input 15% up. Mine is the A/C model ... are you running on batteries, and are they fresh?

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm using Bose Triports and the amp just about blows my ears off set at about 10 o'clock.

4. 55 ohms is very low impedance and would load the output of the amp tremendously.
    Suggest you get headphones with high impedance.

5. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Mine is the battery powered only model. I'm going to look at the Sennheiser 555's, but I'm bummed. The AKG's were $170. I read in an audiophile magazine that they were the best headphones under $200. What is the use of headphones with an impedance like these? It sucks I have to go to $90 headphones to get any volume.

Mike

Edit: I just checked out the Sennheisers and they are 50 ohms. Will a 5 ohm difference really give me that much more volume? Also, I just looked over the specs for my AKGs and the sensitivity is only 91db. I know a cab with this rating would be very inefficient. Is this the problem I am having with my earphones?

6. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Have you tried feeding the headphone amp with a different, louder source (like a CD player's headphone out)? I'm wondering if your bass isn't producing enough output?

7. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I haven't tried anything else through the Walter, but the headphones definitely don't get as loud as the stock ones on my ipod. Also, the volume doesn't change when I change from a passive bass to an active bass. I have one active bass that is has very, very hot output and the volume through the Walter is no different than my old passive P.

Mike

8. When I had a Cafe Walter I used AKG K66's. Plenty of volume.

Think the ohms are around 50-60.

When I plugged in K241's (which are like 600 ohms) the volume dropped.

9. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I just tried a pair of Sony MDR-V100s and I did get considerably more volume. With volume set at 2/3s it became uncomfortable after about five minutes. That's a lot better since I was playing at 3/4 just to get enough volume to hear myself. The tone is a lot better too. Before, everything sounded hollow and the E string sounded like a spring. Now, the problem is everything is coming through with distortion. Maybe these headphones are crap; they were a gift. It sounds like playing at moderate volume through a fifty watt tube head. Distortion like that. It isn't an unpleasant distortion, but I was hoping for a cleaner sound for practice and whatnot. If the AKGs just suck, I wonder why they got such a good review. I know magazines don't give you the real negatives as much I might like, but all the comments are pretty much the opposite of what I have experienced.

Mike

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Now, I love my 555s and think they are the next best thing to the 545s, which I like even better than the 600s ... so I don't mean to discourage that purchase ... but it just doesn't jive that your walter won't drive the AKGs. Why don't you shoot walter an email and see what he thinks?

11. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Weird..... have you tried the AKGs with another source? What you describe sounds like it might be a phase problem, as it is similar to what I hear when I plug in headphones only part way and the two drivers get an out of phase mono signal.

I have two sets of AKGs, K240M, and K280. Both sound fine, although the 600 ohm K240s take a bit of power to drive.

12. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I was going to send an email to Walter, I just thought I would ask here first. I've tried the K271s with my ipod. The ipod didn't get very loud and it sounded muffled. It didn't sound full or rich. I can understand needing a headphone amp for an ipod with these, but a headphone amp for my headphone amp sounds a bit ridiculous.

Mike

13. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Now I'm just thinking that your headphone may have a problem...you may try to go and see your retailer just to compare it with another exemplary of the same model.

Sheers

14. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That's not true.
    Headphones are just like speaker cabs, a lower impedence set should be louder than a higher impedence set.

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Have you tried a different battery?

16. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I put new batteries in it right away. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Walter. I bought it from a very reliable seller here on TB.

Mike

17. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Well then perhaps some 555s are the answer :D

18. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Other way around.... 55 ohms is indeed low, but that's good in this case. The AKG 240s are high impedance (I forget just how high, but it's in the hundreds), which is useful for times when you combine several headphones in parallel off of a single headphone out.

Sounds like something's amiss with that particular pair of phones.