1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cafe Walter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEFUNKTED, May 14, 2006.

1. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    Does anyone have the new Cafe Walter and used it with an IPOD?

What's your experience been with this unit?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do...it's awesome! I bought it over other units because of this feature. The iPod still sounds great through the Cafe Walter and it has a volume control dedicated for the input device, so you can blend the volume between your bass and the iPod as you see fit.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

Greatest bass toy ever!

4. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    Great, it looks like a quality practice amp and it's now officially on my things-to-buy list.

The neighbors are very happy!:D

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I travel for business, stay in hotels all the time. I bought a Lakland DJ5 just to keep in my hotel room, and wanted something I could plug headphones into just to keep my fingers "lubed" while I'm on the road. Originally, I wanted a Bass Pod XT for this purpose, but you can't plug an iPod into it. Alas, it lost out for the more straightforward Cafe Walter.

I'm still toying with the idea of my bass into the Pod into the Cafe Walter, but not sure...that's a lot of wires for my hotel room...

One thing's for sure, though...I LOVE the Cafe Walter. It won't "make" you sound good, but if you have a good bass and good technique, it'll make you smile...a lot!:hyper:

6. After hearing a Cafe Walter, I promptly returned my Korg Pandora. The Cafe Walter sounds great and works well with an ipod, but IMO, you need adequate headphones for your bass to sound decent.

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Never heard the little amp, but I'd like to share a personal experience with Walter. Years ago he had a simple piezo preamp on his website, which I endeavoured to build. At the time I had absolutely no electronics experience, so I e-mailed him. Over the course of at least a half dozen e-mails, he walked me through the construction, explained how the circuit worked, and even discussed my plans to study electrical engineering in college some. Bottom line, he's got some great designs and he's a super nice guy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him for a second.

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Walter is quality; he's responded to my ignorant e-mails about what I could run into my Cafe Walter within mere minutes. THAT is good customer service.

The headphone amp is, as everybody says, a great, great thing.

Funny, he's gotta be making a steal, it's really a simple little unit.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 on all the above. Wonderful piece of gear in every way.

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

Another fan of the Cafe Walter and of Walter himself.

I use a Cafe Walter with a laptop as a practice/travel rig. All the mp3's I want and the ability to slow down or change keys (using The Amazing Slowdowner). The laptop has metronome software as well as tuner software loaded (plug the "aux out" on the Cafe Walter into the mic input on the laptop and voila)!

All I need to carry is a bass (Zon Vinny 5 usually), laptop, Cafe Walter, and a pair of Shure earbuds. It all fits into my laptop case (well not the bass;) ).

11. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    I know I'm 5-years late with this reply. But thought I'd mention that Earwig's headphone amp has the same feature. iPod works great through that as well. And there is even a way that the thing crosses into an amp or mixing board to make it a in-ear monitor for live performances. I have a belt clip on mine and the total weight is 5 oz in a very small dimension.

Cafe Walters are awesome too. Most important, they're durable. But they're not something that you can strap on so easy.