1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caitlinbread SFT vs. EWS Trilogic

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basslinejam, May 30, 2012.

1. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    I'm considering these two pedals for the "bring to the gig to improve the backline tone" role in my gig bag. I've looked at the Sansamp Paradriver and I've owned the VT, but I'm ready for something non sansamp right now.

The Caitlinbread looks good based on the touch sensitive response and the baxandall tone stack, which I'm familiar with from owning the Barber Linden.

The EWS looks good for it's versatility and the high/low mid control. I also like what I hear from the overall transparency and the ability to add some mild grind from the gain control.

Both good pedals I know.

I play blues exclusively with a flats and foam P-bass. It has a Curtis Novak Charlie Christian pickup and has tons of low mids in its response, so it lives well with grit.

I play relatively hard with my right hand and combine thumb muting with fingerstyle in almost every tune.

What do you all think?

2. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    I actually love the SFT, use it a lot. The "class A" effect is very nice and easy to control and dial in. Comes with loads of low end and does not really color the tone of the guitar. Its my personal favorite.

3. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    What I like about the EWS is the mid EQ. will I miss it with the SFT?

4. I haven't used the EWS, but I have SFT and use it as a "different" clean sound (p bass with nickel rounds into Shuttle 9.0-->TC RS212) it "rounds up" the sound a bit. But, if needed, it can go to full aggressive overdrive/distortion with cranking gain and treble. Also worth noting is that it works way better on 18V than on 9V, waaaay more headroom.

5. Yurtra

Yurtra

Apr 26, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    +1

Having owned the SFT (got rid of it because it doesn't sound great with hot active basses) I can safely say that this pedal should ONLY be used at 18v with bass.

6. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Huh, I use it through an active system and I think it sounds great on 9v. Interesting the differences between people.

7. q5bass

q5bass

Apr 9, 2012
    TN
    I also had an SFT and got rid of it because I did not like the sound with my 18v active bass. I was using the pedal with 9v. Maybe should have tried 18. I now use a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and like the OD tone better, although it does lose some low end with heavy OD.

8. Yurtra

Yurtra

Apr 26, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Definitely depends on what you are going for sound-wise. I prefer a nice, clear and bright midrange sound and I found that the SFT with my active bass got a little bit mushy and dark.

That said, it sounded killer with my passive Jazz bass and really warmed up the sound without getting mushy. At 9v it sounded fine, at 18v it sounded KILLER. Much clearer sound and much more fine control with the drive control.

9. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I noticed a bit of increased clarity running the SFT at 18v. I use a bass that has an 18v preamp as well as an active/passive switch.

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The SFT certainly does the trick with a P-Bass and flats. But here's a totally different suggestion you might not have considered - get an Orange Terror Bass and you can use that to improve the backline instead, just plug it into whichever cab (or speaker of a combo) is provided. That amp sounds like it was made to go with a Precision and sounds perfect for rock and blues. I don't use my SFT so much nowadays since I got one!

11. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Gosh, I'd love a new amp! The head I'd like to try the most is a walkabout. But the wife and kids insist on a beach vaca. So I gotta go with a pedal :>}

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I can attest that the SFT is not a good match with the EMG MMTW in my Spector. Sounds like a weed whacker. But with my Lakland (Barts) and Warwick (Delano) the SFT sounds phenomenal! And that's at 9v. I'm kicking around the idea of putting a Delano in my Spector again now....

13. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Yeah, I've found that EMG's either sound great with some pedals, or, well like you said, not so much. My Spector NS2A with EMG's sounded amazing with a sansamp BDDI.

14. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Ordered up and SFT and a Dunlop 18v PS. I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Trilogic too. I still want to try one. Thanks for the skinny.

15. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    I have the EWS. No experience with the SFT- although from the videos I've seen/heard, it seems to be close in function to the Bass VT, capable of dramatically changing your amped tone.

The EWS doesn't perform this function. It's more of an on-board eq...in a pedal, with a HINT of warmth. Its a great tool to fine-tune a setup that is already 90% there. I don't think it is the right tool for putting your unique sound into various back line amps.

16. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    That's good to know. I have heard some guys using the gain to add a bit of grit, but I it was a little fizzy sounding compared to what I hear from the SFT. Guess I made the right choice.

17. Hauge

Hauge

Nov 1, 2007
    Denmark
    I second that.

I bought the EWS to add a tiny bit of grit to my tone. The EWS stays pretty much clean unless I crank the gain on the pedal and boost bass and mid on my Stingray which'll bring the pedal into some unpleasant distortion.

That said it's a great pedal for what it does. I especially dig how it works the high mids on a passive bass.

18. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    This was another reason I liked the Trilogic. I am always looking for a good way to tweak the mids on my passive P. Maybe the EWS BMC is a better option for that.

Winton likes this.