Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cake bassist: terribly confused

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slick519, Jul 5, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    what is up with the cake bassist? is it also the guitarist, or is it someone else completley? also, could it somekind of MIDI? it has always seemed that the bass lines are way too smooth to be a real bassist, but what do i know?

but if it is a reall bassist, it seems that he doesnt get very much recognition for his great basslines, some of the coolest ive heard from a band like that.

thank ya very much,
    =w=slicks=w=

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    He's a real person, and a seperate entity from their guitarist. :D I can't recall his name right now, but I know he plays a P-Bass and he gets THE tone in my book. He's a hell of a player, and very underrated, in my opinion.

Check www.allmusic.com for information like that. It'll give you the band lineup and all that good stuff.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    His tone rules. His playing rules. Cake rules.

4. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    if you want to hear something awesome by cakes bassist, listen to the bass part in tha tcover they have of the 70's song, i will survive or something like that, it's off fasion nugget.

5. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    thanks alot. I noticed that in "The Distance" video it looked that the bassist was using a fender telecaster, or a very early pbass (i think) oh well, thanks alot for the link.

=w=Slicks=w=

p.s. i started thinking about cake today right after i figured out "the Distance" bassline (BY EAR!!!) oh well, i guess i got kinda excited.

6. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    ya the bass line in "the distance" is real cool. great tone, great band.

7. i believe he also uses a Music man of some sort

8. his stuff in "short skirt long jacket" (AWESOME song, btw) sounds to me like P-bass, flatwounds, pick.

9. Their I Will Survive cover was one of the first lines I learn how to play.. Great song..

10. WOW, a thread about cake, very rare indeed! :)
    Cake rule, i saw them in london last wednesday, and yes Gabriel Nelson does rule, if you check my profile, he is listed as an influence! :)

Cake have actually had 2 different bass players over the years, but their tone and style is very similar!

Album 1) Motercade Of Generosity - Gabe Nelson
    Album 2) Fashion Nugget - Victor Damiani
    Album 3) Prolongong The Magic - Gabe Nelson
    Album 4) Comfort Eagle - Gabe Nelson

Gabe plays a p-bass, has done since he was a teenager, dunno what victor played.

*Si*

11. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    thanks, i wish i could find his rig and find out how he gets such a rich, creamy tone. you can almost melt it on corn!!

oh well, thanks
    =w=slicks=w=

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Want that tone?

Get a passive P-Bass and roll ALL THE WAY off the tone.

There. You Got It. (this is also useful when playing reggae)

My old band used to cover "The Distance" and "Never There", and those were some of the most fun to play. (plus the trumpet parts sounded cool on guitar).

The "I Will Survive" cover from "Fashon Nugget" is a lot simpler than it sounds (as long as your technique is up to it of course), it's a lot of fun to play along with.

13. wen i saw him, and its confirmed by Bassist, he was using a Gallien-Krueger 800RB into an Ampeg 4x10

*Si*