Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cake: Fashion Nugget, anyone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by masterhiggins, Apr 22, 2005.

1. masterhiggins

masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005
    First time poster here. Hi y'all. I've got a question for you guys. Do any of you guys know what bass gear was used on the band Cake's Fashion Nugget album? It's just so thick and phat it's ridiculous. It's one of my favorite albums sonically.

About myself, among you guys, I'd probablly consider myself an amateur bass player to moderate at best. I've actually been playing for about 8-9 years, but my main focus is recording. My sight-reading skills are lame to none, but I have an excellent ear (comes in useful for recording).

-Sam

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    He plays a Fender P bass through a GK head & Ampeg cab. At least that's what he uses now, not too sure what he was using back in 96, probably the same bass.

Welcome to TB! :)

3. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Just heard a track from that CD last night for the first time. I Will Survive was on the jukebox between sets and our singer flipped over it, she wants to learn it right away. Great tone for sure.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Someone brings up my kind of band! You've got to check out their other albums if you haven't already...

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds awfully like a stingray to me

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
  7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The bass player on "Fashion Nugget" (Victor Damiani) is no longer in the band and hasn't been for years, so anything you might have seen recently is not necessarily an accurate representation of what the Damiani was playing on "Fashion Nugget".

8. masterhiggins

masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005
    HTML:
    http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/cake/audvid.jhtml
    View the video "the distance". There's a clear shot of the bass during the video. Maybe a 55 re-issue p-bass?

-Sam