cake - gabriel nelson, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pierce, Sep 2, 2000.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    man, i rally dig the bass work on almost all of cakes albums, even though i am not a huge cake fan. i've searched the bords extensively, but i can't seem to find out anything about this guy. what are your thoughts? does anybody know anything about his bass and rig? both positive and negative responses welcome.
  2. Hey Pierce,
    The only Cake album I've listened to extensively is "Fashion Nugget," and you are right.. the bass playing kicks ass. I've been meaning to buy it and learn it!
    The bass player's name is Victor Damiani, although I believe he has since left the band. I think he used some kind of Fender, a '51 P reissue possibly, not sure about his rig but on recordings you never know anyway, he could've been plugged into the board.
    By "Gabriel Nelson" I'm assuming you're referring to Cake's new bassist. I don't know anything about him.
  3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    actually dave, i prematurely listed nelson as the bass player for cake (not knowing that they had changed bass players). i dont have "fashion nugget", but i have the other two (it was lost in a messy divorce- god if i have to rebuild my collection one more time...) one of them has both playing on it ("motorcade of generosity"), guess they were in transition. thanks for the reply though. now i have an excuse to run out and pick up the aforementioned cd.

by the way, the album that prompted this thread was "prolong the magic", and the song "never there". check it out.

again thanks for the input.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA band Gazupie is playing a show tonight with Gabe Nelson's side project, Jacuzzi, in Davis, CA. I don't really know Gabe but he's revered as a pop genius here in the Sacramento area. I also saw him play a few years ago with a band called the Soft that did catchy but quirky experimental pop. He can play bass, sing, play guitar and write songs really well, and he keeps the bouncy bass magic alive with Cake. One time I saw him playing an old P-Bass and SVT with Cake, and he had a sunburst J-Bass thru a GK amp with Jacuzzi. Nothin' fancy. Cake's old bass player and guitarist, Victor Damiani and Greg Brown, now have a group called Deathray that does irony-laden early 80's style pop that sounds a lot like the Cars.