Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cakewalk and FruityLoops

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by xerogh, Oct 26, 2002.

1. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hey,

I want to put together a small home studio using my Computer to record some music. I've searched around the forum and I see that a lot of people like FruityLoops as a drum machine, and Cakewalk for recording. I was at the Cakewalk Web site and they offer Cakewalk XL that has drum/audio loops worked into the product. Should I just get that?

If anyone had Cakewalk XL or any other sugesstions I like to hear about them.

Thanks

x

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i REALLY like fruityloops for quick, easy and fun drum track creation.

for $99 you can't go wrong! i use it with ACID.

haven't used CW in a while.

f

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Cakewalk (and MOTU) is mainly used in the US, Europe is more a Steinberg (Cubase/Cubasis, Nuendo) or Emagic (Logic) market.

Sonar XL looks interesting, but I need VST and rewire, so it's Cubase/Nuendo for me.

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    instead of fruity loops, I would recommend you to check out renoise - www.renoise.com

It`s a tracker. A bit more difficult to understand than fruity, but a lot more powerfull. There`s a fully functional free demo on their site - check it out. Great stuff with years and years of undeground tradition.

5. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    "for $99 you can't go wrong! i use it with ACID."

From what i hear you can get it off Kazaa

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    sure, but why not support the people that work hard to make a decent product?

f

7. Not jumping on the Kazaa bandwagon...

I use Cakewalk Sonar which has tools for making loops and using samples. It works quite nicely but in some ways doesn't quite sound as seamless as ACID's implementation. To get the best out of FruityLoops you should dig into the online help. Route each of the tracks in FL to a different FX channel and then save out the wave with the option to save each FX channel separately. This way you get separate wave files which you can pull into Cakewalk for further mixing etc. Alternatively, buy FXpansions VST adaptor for Direct X which allows you to use VST plugins and instruments in Cakewalk (which uses Direct X). Then if you have the latest version of FruityLoops FULL (Note the basic version does not work as a VSTi) then you can use Fruityloops from WITHIN Cakewalk as a virtual instrument. How cool is that?! :cool:

Seriously I've found FL to be ace at generating sounds, making drum patterns, but Cakewalk has the edge in mixing and overall track creation.

And by the way, you really ought to invest (i.e. spend your own money) on FruityLoops. It's not expensive (<$100) and you get free upgrades for life. Someday all software companies will be as cool as this... :)

8. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    i agree but there's no point in buying both to see what one he likes.

Try them both then buy your favroite

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  10. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Thanks for the input.

I think my biggest problem here is that I've been out of the music scene for a while and I'm trying to bite off more than I can chew.

I have downloaded several trial versions of various software packages and I've realized one thing... I have A LOT to learn!

Maybe I'll start out with learning sequencing technique and move on into recording from there.

x