Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cakewalk or Acid good enough?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JPJ, Mar 11, 2003.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm planning on purchasing a minidisc set-up to record band rehearsals and live gigs, and would like to be able to edit the material on minidisc so that it could be burned to CD and/or placed on my band's web site. I really have no experience with doing anything like this, and don't have the slightest clue as to how to get the material from minidisc into my computer. Would software such as Cakewalk and/or Acid be what I'm looking for? Would it be enough for editing, touching up rough spots, etc.?

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm interested in doing the same thing. What kind of minidisc recorder do have? I was looking at the current Sony models and noticed that they don't allow you to upload the recorded files into your computer; this is because of Sony's concern over copy rights on live performances (remember they own record companies). Otherwise you could record live concert performances of various artists and then burn CDs and sell them. You can download files from your computer into the device, but not vice versa.

Thus, I believe your first hurdle lies with the recorder, not with the PC's recording / editing software.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I use a cheap Cakewalk software called Music Creator 2003. Only $39 and enables you to record MIDI or audio for over 16 tracks, I haven't figured out what the max # of tracks are. It can do all the usual studio stuff like mix downs, punch in / punch out, edit undo, add effects, adjust EQ, etc. Once you import a file, you can pretty much perform any kind of editing. For my home use, I didn't need the $300 software packages.