Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cakewalk Problem?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Any ideas why Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 won't work with the integrated audio of my FIC AZ11 motherboard?

2. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    That kind of B.S. is exactly why I HATE using computers for recording. Out of about 15 recording projects I've done with computer-based recording systems, at 14 of them I have spent a lot of time sitting around while the engineer figured out why something wasn't working properly or finding space on the drive for another track.
    For me, if I can't just plug in and record a few seconds after I have an idea, there is a large chance that the idea will be lost while I fool around with technical issues.

3. I actually love using computers for recording. I'm trying to use a generic sound device and thats probably why I'm having problems. When I was using an Aardvark system I never had any problems.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No offence, but anybody who uses onboard audio chips for audio recording is just asking for trouble.
    Bad drivers, bad sound, etc. Those sound chip are designed only to give you standard audio functions cheap. You can try to get newer drivers, but the AD/DA converters will still sound like sh!t.
    Get a good audio card with good converters like a Midiman/M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (ca. 200$).
    Stay away from Soundblaster cards like the SBLive or Audigy, contrary to the ads those are only good for gaming.

I have an Audiophile and it NEVER gave me trouble.
    Low latency, great sound, drivers for Cubase, Logic and Gigasampler - I LOVE that piece of hardware!

5. I was only trying to use the onboard audio interface until I get an Audiophile. I had a couple of ideas I wanted to jot down in the meantime.

I'm not sure I understand why you say the Soundblaster and such aren't good for recording. If you go to my web page at:

http://www.geocities.com/goodmanje/Bass.html

The drum machine and bass were recorded with the soundcard in a laptop and the guitar track with a Soundblaster Live!. We are waiting for our lead player to add his part which he will record with a Turtle Beach soundcard.

I agree the "real" recording cards sound better but for most applications the "game" cards will work great. Still sounds much better than a little 4 track tape recorder. Of course I don't really do anything special when recording so I may not really be approaching the limitations if the device.

I am going to start another thread with a different question and I would like your input JMX.

Thanks,

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Maybe you can still get it to work with newer drivers. Check device manager or motherboard manual for info on the chip and manufacturer.

As for the cons of Creative labs cards:

- bad driver(support)
    - no ASIO drivers (SBLive)
    - uses 48kHz internally only, all other rates are resampled before and after -> latency
    - EAX is useless for audio recording
    -bad AD/DA converters
    - bad mic preamp

Audigy:

same as above

- ASIO works with 48kHz only
    - recording is limited to 16bit and up to 48kHz, this info is conveniently omitted in the ads.
    24 bit is playback only.
    - No driver support for Logic and Gigasampler
    - AD/DA converters could be better

I had a SBLive!, and could hear the difference when I switched to the Audiophile, even when just using Winamp.

7. Sounds like you are much more edutated when it comes to recording. :D

I don't know what most of that means. I know what poor driver support is all about but the rest :confused:

Do you know of any documentation that will help me understand some of these things? I would like to be as educated as possible when approaching my recordings even if some of the things don't apply to what I'm doing.

Thanks for your help JMX.

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany