Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cakewalk/recording problem

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 12, 2002.

1. I have another question. When I am recording my bass (using Cakewalk) I am having a problem with volumn. While recording the bass sounds very quite and muffled. When I play back the recording it sounds fine.

This is causing me problems because I can't really hear exactly what I'm playing while recording it. There is no string detail so I can't tell if my technique is causing any unwanted noise etc.. Also, the drum track often times drowns out the bass.

Like I said, when I play it back it sounds great, except for all of the mistakes I made that I wasn't aware of.

I have had this problem with both a cheap game card and an Aardvark 24/96 so I know it has nothing to do with quality of hardware.

Thanks, for the help.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sorry, I'm not really familiar with Cakewalk software, I'm mainly a Steinberg man, with limited knowledge of Emagic's Logic also.

I know Oysterman uses Sonar, so he might be able to help you.
    Cakewalk is much more popular in the U.S. than in Europe, so maybe someone else from the States can help.

Maybe you can find some help here:

http://www.cakewalknet.com/

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    sounds like you're trying to monitor through Cakewalk.

Can you run your bass to a board, then to the computer using a send? that way you can monitor through external speakers, and send the best signal to the computer.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You should be able to monitor through Cakewalk though without loss of quality.
    But then maybe that's the advantage of ASIO-capable hosts like Cubase and Logic, they offer direct monitoring.

5. I figured it out. I didn't have the "line" volumn turned up high enough. I had all of the volumn controls mixed up. There is the main volumn for overall control, wave volumn which controls the playback of tracks that are already recorded (drums), and the line volumn which controls monitoring of the line input jack.

I'm slowly getting the hang of this.

Thanks