Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calantas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Mar 9, 2004.

1. I saw a bass by Barrie Kolstein made out of a wood called Calantas......Anybody know of this stuff? :help: .

2. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Paul-

I have played several of these basses. Some sound quite nice. Dark and rich- others just thud.

I think it is also known as Philipine Mahagony. It has become quite popular in those brands of basses. It is also known as Kalantas. I did some searching on the websites some time ago when looking for wood to build instruments out of.

Brian

3. Thanks Brian!

4. I own a bass made all of calantas, including top, back and ribs. Mine is a Testore copy, also out of Gagnon's shop in the philippines. Gagnon runs the place, but is not himself a luthier. He has two main makers working with him, Gabute and Tapao, both make fine basses, though quality of what they produce can be a bit uneven. Some are truly great instruments.

check out http://www.cremonasia.com/

I love my calantas bass. Two years ago I lent it to the (recently re-organised) Moscow Phil, in town on tour. The principal (Vasili Andreev) play it and I listened to a Rachmaninov symphony from the middle of the house. How rare to hear your own bass from a proper listening distance, and in the hands of a master player, not to mention a wonderful musical setting. My bass sounded great, clearly distinguishable over the rest of the section. Loud or soft, it spoke clearly and authoritatively.

On returning the bass to me the next day, Andreev sent a note, from which I quote:

"I wood [sic] like to say to you thank you very much for chanse to play concerto on your doublebass." ... ... ... "Great sound, excellent power of sound, and I want to say, what I never playing on the doublebass better, like this, your instrument. This is best d-bass on which I played. Thank you, very much!"

needless to say, I treasure this letter, not to mention the bass.

So anyway, don't look askance at non-traditional woods.

5. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    The genus and species name of Calantas (Kalantas) is:

Toona calantas.

Apparently part of the Cedar family. If you wish you can google the scientific name and come up with a lot more info about properties and origin.

FWIW
    Brian

6. What a wonderful phrase.