1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cali 76 CB

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grocker, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. grocker

grocker

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    Great experience with this compressor.Last night's gig was a trial run,what a great unit origin makes.I had time during the day to get a handle on the controls and I was able to make adjustments for different style bass sounds and songs on the fly at the gig.....very intuitive compressor, hpf is great for adjusting on the fly when you have a more bassy tune and when you want the bottom tighter for certain songs. Overall just a great easy to tweak,no bad sounding settings,very thought out feature set, perfect for bass,keep it up on your amp within reach and it's simple to make adjustments.....best sound I've had in awhile,specially at this particular venue, where I could never control the boom, now it pretty simple with hpf,works a whole lot better then I can explain, much better sounding then just messing with the bass eq on the amp........

dave_bass5 and Matt Dean like this.
  2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Congrats; all the reviews seem to be top shelf
    Does the threshold indicator lamp work well?

grocker likes this.
  3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The indicator light works well for being just being a single light. I can tell how hard my peaks are hitting the threshold. It’s not as nice as having a row of leds , but it was always good enough for my needs. And it sounds incredible.

grocker likes this.
  4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Cool report. I got mine today but wont get to use it with a rig until Jan. Its replacing my Spectracomp, which i found too limiting if i wanted to tweak it at a gig or rehearsal.

Are you powering it 9v or 18v?

grocker likes this.
  5. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I think after listening to several youtube videos on the Cali that it is a good transparent compressor, nothing more and nothing less. For that price tag I would want something more, maybe some colouration. I personally do not think it is better than the TC Electronic Spectracomp and with the Cali being so transparent I would probably put it at the end of my chain and use it as a limiter. But I ain't going to fork out nearly £300 for that when I have an MXR 87 that does the job well. Personally I don't think it is worth the money or the hype.

alesreaper9 likes this.
  6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Having owned the MXR I found that to be a bit more sterile sounding than any other comp I’ve owend. Pretty light meter though.
    The spectracomp is amazing IF you have the time to program it AND don’t need to tweak it on the fly. I do also find it more nosier than my Cali through my home setup.

Gabbs and grocker like this.
  7. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    The MXR87 and the Cali76 are both based on the world renowned Urei1176 studio compressor. Both are very transparent and if you are new to compressors and are looking for some colouration then neither of them are going to give you what you are looking for which would be costly. Yes the Spectracomp may have its limitations in a live situation but for recording at home it is a great little compressor. For me the Spectracomp can totally transform my tone which is an added bonus, and regarding noise mine is quiet as a mouse. Maybe the recent firmware update will help to solve any noise issues.
    I am not trying to knock the Cali76 as I think it is a great compressor but like I have previously stated for that price I would want more functionality.

grocker likes this.
  8. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    This is one of the videos I looked at when I was trying to determine what the Cali76 would achieve. I f I had to choose one out of the three being demoed The Electo Harmonix Bass Preacher, The Boss BC-1X ad the Origin Effects Cali76 I would choose the cheaper Boss. That is not based on price but on performance.

willsellout likes this.
  9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I don't think this is true (to me).
    I get the idea that they sound similar, but the real magic of a real 1176 is the transformers inside.
    I can't recall anyone saying that they did not accurately reproduce the same bass and treble response although they always sounded different than the Universal Audio LA2A, LA4A, dbx, Orban, Aphex, Symitrex, etc. compressors that I've used in studios.

In a compressor thread, there was speculation that the transformers add 2nd harmonics which would be the same as saying it added a form of distortion as this harmonic was not present in the original signal.

One could also make a case that the way these devices read threshold and compressor action might be the common link.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    But what functionalty do you expect when the box is doing a great job already? Adding more control doesn’t automaticaly make it a better comp, certainly not for most people.
    I personally don’t feel boutique pedals are any better than the more mass produced ones, and certainly not always worth the extra cost, but I do feel if something works for you, then you just have to pay the going rate.
    Ive had the MXR, SD Studio Comp, Dyna Comp, a yellow box thing that I cant remember what it was, various comps built in to multi effects, but only the Cali has jumped out at me. It definitely has a character, and not the same as the MXR. Not better maybe, but better to my ears, and so I felt it was worth stumping up the money for it. Still over priced per say, but worth the outlay over something that costs half the price but doesn’t work for me.

My Spectracomp is right up to date, so its not a FW issue with noise. Don’t get me wrong, its not a huge amount, and could well be it’s down to me not knowing what all those settings do, sand really not having he time to play with them all.
    The thing is i really don’t need to learn all those contol elements, i think its overkill and more for those who want lots of knobs and dials to do what others do with a lot less control. I get the point about studio use, and I agree, its fantastic if you have the extra hardware to tweak it, but when I used it live I was restricted to the one knob, and although I still liked using it (done over 20 gigs worth it) I felt i wasn’t able to get the best out of it.

Looking at the various Comp (and distortion) threads it seems there is no ‘best’, just different flavours that work for different people. I've got a DarkGlass VMT, but my Joyo Orange Juice wipes the floor with it, at a fraction of the price.

11. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I agree with you Dave, it is each to their own.The Cali is a great compressor and it does what it does which is to be transparent like the MXR.The only point that I was making was that if there was someone new to compression and was looking for colouration neither the Cali or the MXR would not be the pedal to go for whereas the Spectracomp would be.
    The price tag for the Cali of £280.00 is a complete rip off in my book, I think that the Andertons video I posted earlier shows that you don't get what you pay for with the Cali.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I agree about the rip off part, but then I also understand the smaller companies have to charge more. DarkGlass also comes to mind. Although I still love their products I would never spend the silly money they want for the Ulta pedals.

I think you might have found the worst video on the Cali, that one defiantly sdoesnt show it off, but I don’t think many of them do. Actually having the Cali I can tell you there is a lot more to it than that video shows.

grocker likes this.
  13. As comparison videos go that one is rather poorly executed.

jassthebass likes this.
  14. grocker

grocker

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    Yes it works very well...

15. grocker

grocker

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    Using Dunlop 18v

dave_bass5 likes this.
  16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i own two vintage Urei 1176 compressors (which are my favorite compressors of all time, with the exception of a universal audio 175) and i gotta say that the Origins are the closest to a real 1176LN in pedal form that available today.

here's my 1176's:

two1176ln-.

and here's what i think is the king of the hill:

ua175-1-.

Jim C likes this.
  17. grocker

grocker

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    I paid 259.......it has a bit of color especially if you push, but honestly it is like having a studio tweaker many tones and options....its hardcore built....

18. grocker

grocker

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    Videos don't really give you the feel for this thing..have to experience it

jassthebass and smeet like this.
  19. grocker

grocker

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    The build seems unbelievable, would have been nice if the company that sent it, (it wasn't origin)listened to what I requested and shipped in another box beside the one in comes in,they shipped it in a priority mail bubble envelope...they get the big Boo for that move..but it's built like a military device lol...

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yes, for a compact pedal its built like a tank. Quite surprising.
    I paid £269 for mine. Not quite £300 but still a lot of money for an effect that won’t really get heard lol.

willsellout and grocker like this.