Cali

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DGBanana, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DGBanana

DGBanana

Aug 8, 2017
    New Orleans
    I'm looking into getting a new compressor and was curious if their is a big difference between the discontinued cali76 (TX,STD) and the cali76 compact deluxe, besides the obvious price of course. Also, why were these models discontinued?

2. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    The main difference is that the larger Calis had a big transformer in them. There isn't space inside the compacts for that. I imagine they use smaller surface mount components for the compacts too which may affect the sound in minor ways.

My experience with studio gear that has a transformer in it is that it gives a sparkle to the top end and tightens the low end which sounds pleasing to the ear, especially on bass.

The Compact Deluxe has a Dry knob - a blend control for parallel processing which most of the larger Calis don't have.

I guess the compacts are cheaper to make than the larger models. Many people had an issue with the size of the larger Calis. Maybe they are redesigning the TX to use surface mount components but keep the transformer in a smaller box.

If you haven't already, have a look at Ovnilab's reviews of the two:

Origin Effects Cali76
    Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Bass and Compact Deluxe

Are you not interested in the Compact Bass? It sacrifices individual Attack and Release knobs to add a high pass filter in the sidechain to let the low end breathe.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    Well the big difference is the size. The originals were/are HUGE! They were probably discontinued simply because people were opting for the smaller cousins. Ovnilab's observations I think are pretty spot on about the two versions.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    The size, dry blend, and HPF had me picking the CB over a larger 76. To my ears I couldn't hear much of a difference between the full size and CB so it was a no brainer. TX...you can kinda tell there's a liiiiill difference but for the life of me can't see that difference amounting to much when it's being fed into a tube amp anyhow

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

What the others said. I have a big Cali (limited edition G-P model) and it's the nicest pedal compressor I've ever heard. Hell, it's nicer than most of the rack compressors I've owned. But as noted it's YUUUUGE. I'm just a weekend warrior bar band guy, and doubt I'd notice much difference between mine and one of the Cali Compacts... well, I doubt my ears would notice -- the LED ladder on the big one is a highly useful feature. But again, the size can be a problem, especially on the cramped stages I often play.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021