1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cali ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmarcus2, Feb 23, 2008.

1. As a former Californian, I wince at the above reference to my former state. Much like San Franciscans wince at the term "Frisco".

When did this start? Maybe I'm too sensitive. And why should it bother me when I now live in another place whose name is regularly mispronounced!

Anybody else from the Golden State feel this way?

<too early....need coffee>

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It doesn't bother me the way Frisco bothers San Franciscans but I do think it's dumb. I started hearing it in the early nineties, around the time Tupac was using it quite a bit. Whether he was the source or a reflection I can't tell you.

3. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Such a usage doesn not bother me.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I almost always refer to my home as Kalifornia, PRK or Land of Fruits and Nuts.

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    It always sounds better coming from a resident of the state than myself.

;)

6. Tupac lives!

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

Fixed.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Feel free to leave - you're one more person clogging my highways. :smug:

9. Heee, Heee! One of the reasons I left. No more East LA interchange. You should now be able to move ahead two car lengths...

10. First time I remember hearing it is LL Cool J's "Goin' Back To Cali", probably late 1980s.

11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I like Southern California, but honestly I'm not sure if I could deal with the traffic on a regular basis. I already get more than my fill when I have to travel through the Bay Area. Central Valley traffic is relatively minor by comparison.

12. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Good call. So Tupac wasn't the first New York bred rapper to label it in song.

13. onemorebass

onemorebass Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Springfield, MN
    After moving to the Bay Area from Vegas, I was told by a coworker that it's either San Fransisco or The City, never Frisco... But I couldn't help myself, and after referring to San Fransisco as "Frisco" three times, we were asked to leave the state. :spit:

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I refuse to refer to it as "The City". Usually I just say San Francisco or SF.

15. While, spending some time in Oakland, I said it once... only once. 3x? Immediate license revocation.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Actually I vanpool. And prisoners can't just leave.

What we really need is for LA , SAC and SF (which account for 99% of KA's BS between them) to sink beneath the waves.

17. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Ok, I'll bite - why are you a prisoner?

Oh, and living in wine country is a whole world away from the rest of California. I highly recommend it.

18. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    KALIFONYEHHH

</arnold>

19. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

psh.. lucky. I live in the Ontario area (San Bernadino County). This place sucks

20. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    yeah, I always laugh when I see those California commercials. "Come to Kaleefonyea"