Cali76 attachment

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RestlessBoom, Dec 7, 2022.

1. RestlessBoom

RestlessBoom

Oct 1, 2021
    Hey all- I recently took the plunge and picked up a Cali76 Compact Bass pedal, and I have a question. How does one go about attaching it to a pedalboard without screwing it up? It has feet and massive screw heads- are there any tips to affix it to a pedalboard that don’t involve permanent alterations?

kevmac likes this.
  2. Mostyn

Mostyn

Jul 14, 2017
    The ultimate in stability is drilling and screwing the pedal directly to the board. Otherwise 3M dual lock.

Attached Files:

Viggo51 and Killing Floor like this.
  3. rowsi

rowsi

Jan 31, 2018
    Germany
    Depending on the make of your pedalboard you got several options. If your pedalboard has many holes in it like this one: upload_2022-12-7_10-37-56.png

You could simply zip tie it down.
    If thats not possible you could use velcro and cardboard like I did: Cut a piece of thick cardboard (or whatever you've got lying around) to match the bottomside of your pedal and apply velcro to your pedal and the cardboard. Then apply velcro to the bottomside of the cardboard and put it on your pedalboard. Add another layer of cardboard if necessary.

4. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    That’s commitment to pedal placement right there.

Andre678, RyanKinBK, MikeMig and 2 others like this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    With the Cali76, one could actually do that. When I got mine, I put it on my board and it has become one of my always-on-always-with-me pedals.

As to the question asked:
    I pulled off the feet and velcroed the underside as with any other pedal. I cut the corners of the velcro, leaving the screws poking through. One layer of Velcro on the pedal and one layer on the pedalboard is thick enough to accommodate the screws.

Aledal, HolmeBass and Waltsdog like this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Velcro.

It won't mess anything up and can be removed later if you choose to sell the pedal, although most people use velcro so there is likely no reason to remove it :)

Afc70 likes this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    3M Dual-Lock. It has a really high profile so there's a chance you won't have to remove the rubber footsies. The screws will definitely clear. 2-4 small strips should do the job...don't cover the entire hull! I buy it in rolls or occas'ly pre-cut tabs. This is what we use when attaching toll transponders to windshields.

Riis

8. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Velcro will do it. All you have to do is either use some cardboard to fill the gap caused by the feet or get one set of feet to fall into a gap in the pedalboard. I think when I had that pedal it was fine even with all the feet on—I just had to work the feet into the pedal fuzz on the board and I got it to stick.

9. Afc70

Afc70 We’re only immortal for a limited time Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I use industrial strength 3M Velcro ..
    Haven’t had a pedal even hint of moving in 2 years of touring the festival circuits. You can turn my pedalboard upside down and try, but you can’t shake anything loose. As was mentioned in a previous recent thread, drilling into a pedal could introduce metal shavings into an electrical circuit, which could be trouble, and resale value would plummet.

mikewalker and Dave W like this.
  10. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Central VA, USA
    I removed the pan-head screws, countersunk the holes on the bottom plate, and installed flathead screws. Works pretty well and is completely invisible, I can take a photo if you'd like.

Embra, kesslari and HolmeBass like this.
  11. joel the bass player

joel the bass player Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Omaha, NE
    I removed the feet and applied velcro. Never had it move on me in the last couple years. Pedaltrain board/velcro, on one board at least one set of screws hangs over the edge of the bar. On the other one it has always been mounted horizontal on a bar and still been fine.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I use the commercial Velcro 2” strips. It’s thick enough those screws don’t get in the way.

Afc70 likes this.
  13. jdjk7

jdjk7 Supporting Member

May 12, 2016
    Bloomington, IN, USA
    Dual Lock. The 76CB is a long enough pedal that you can place Dual Lock between the top and bottom feet and get a solid mount. Dual Lock is what I use for all of my pedals and pedalboard accessories, including a 76CB.

Velcro is ok, but DL is logistically simpler (you only have one "side" to keep inventory of, instead of the hook and loop sides of Velcro) and it's solid as a rock.

What I do to attach pedals is as follows:
    For the board:
    1) Place 1'' strips of DL, two per row of pedals, such that you have a space of 1''-2'' between them. I believe the space between mine is 1'', but I don't have my board on hand to confirm it.
    2) Before you place it down, compare with a few of your pedals to make sure your chosen spacing won't be too narrow-- for example, my EBS DynaVerb is a little too short and it needs to really be pressed to fit on.

For pedals:
    1) Cut four squares of DL that are between 3/4''x3/4'' or 1''x1''-- you can get it in different widths, so what I do is cut off a small piece to begin with and then use the 3/4'' or 1'' width of that piece as a gauge to cut more pieces to similar sizes.

2) Attach them as close to the corners of the pedal as you can, but make sure the arrangement you choose will fit the spacing you've prepared on the board. Then, just attach them.

As close to the corners as you can will get you the most solid attachment, but DL is strong enough that it's fine if there are feet you don't want to remove from the pedal. If you have something like a Boss pedal, you can get creative and cut shapes to fit the weird base plate, because the DL should adhere without falling off and as long as you've got contact in the corners, it'll be a stable mount.

Do be careful not to use too much. That figure of four 1''x1'' contact patches will get you a strong attachment that requires a good amount of upward force to break. Any more and you'll be needing a crowbar to remove your pedals. Sideways force is how DL is meant to be removed and will work more effectively, but on a tightly spaced pedalboard this can be difficult. I've recently gone from 1'' squares on the pedals to 3/4'' squares to lighten the attachment force a little.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  14. I also removed the feet and applied Velcro. I didn’t cover the whole bottom with Velcro, just some strips. It’s been tight ever since, but I can also transfer the Cali to a smaller board when needed easily enough.

15. Naack

Naack

Mar 30, 2021
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Or you could buy an Aclam Board and then use it's fasteners to secure it down!

16. JThunder

JThunder

Nov 12, 2022
    I have a Temple Audio pedalboard. I took the feet off and adhered two medium pedal plates to the bottom of the pedal. It's solid and the plates can be removed if necessary.

upload_2022-12-7_13-39-42.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  17. Aledal

Aledal Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Brooklyn, NY

I came here to say this same thing…you can prize the rubber feet off with a fingernail and two smartly laid Velcros will be taller than the screws

el murdoque likes this.
  18. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Will the bicycle chain link system work?

19. Mostyn

Mostyn

Jul 14, 2017
    Drill holes into the pedalboard, not the pedal. The pedal already has 4 convenient threaded holes drilled. It sounds extreme, but it really isn’t.

Afc70 likes this.
  20. Afc70

Afc70 We’re only immortal for a limited time Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I suppose there are several options when mounting a pedal, I’ve just loved the Velcro on mine, and they don’t move around. You have to work really hard to pry them off, but it’s a nice thing knowing they aren’t going anywhere without a lot of intentional effort. However, if an issue arose and a pedal needed to be removed fairly quickly, it’d definitely be faster removing a Velcro attached pedal than one screwed into the board. Ymmv as they say, & whatever works best for the individual.