Cali76 original or compact

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmeatball, Sep 24, 2017.

1. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    If money wasn't an object do you think the discontinued originals for around 1k are that much better than the new compact versions?

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Where the heck are you seeing the Basic original at 1K as the going price ???

3. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    Reverb

4. ddnidd1

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    Don't see it. Is it much better than the compact stuff out now?

6. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    If money wasn't an object then the Cali76 GP is the one you want. Watch out for price gougers though.

10cc and DirtyDuke like this.
  7. ddnidd1

8. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I've had a few of them. I honestly couldn't notice a difference between the 76, 76-TX, and the compact bass. I much preferred the CB for the blend and HPF section. Even if I had the money for the best of the best, I'd get that one again and again.

DirkP, Wfrance3 and srcTW like this.
  9. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    Seriously?

10. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    Well, you know what they say about opinions...

I bought a CB, trying to reclaim some space from my 76-TX. I resold the CB in short order and the 76-TX still remains on my board. I thought there was a clear difference with the CB sounding very hi-fi and clean, while the TX (must run at 18v to get the transformer) had a slightly colored, vintage "rightness" about it. Made my passive Ps & Js sound incredible.

11. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    When I had my TX I also had the Noble preamp, so I think the tone difference was negligible considering the Noble sweetened it up already. I'm sure if I A/B'ed then I could tell them apart, but for my tone it didn't make a difference to my ears and I never had them at the same time to compare. Plus the TX not having a blend didn't sit well with my tone anyway, so I didn't have it that long.

12. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    The GP sounds the best, I've also had the TX-P and currently have the Compact bass. I A/B'd the TX-P and the Compact for hours both running at 18v and they sounded identical through my studio / headphones setup as well as through my amplifier so I kept the Compact bass and got an ABY to make up for the parallel clean out.

The GP sounds amazing and is worth every dime even past $1k but doesn't have the clean line out like the TX or TX-L.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    imabuddha and SirMjac28 like this.
  13. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm a big fan of my Cali76-TX! From what I know the compact versions sound mostly the same, but I prefer the transformer and the control layout of the original TX.

14. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Alleva-Coppolo, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    I asked the manufacturer this same exact question, and here is the reply I received from Jack at Origin Effects:
    -------------
    Hello John,

Thanks for getting in contact and for considering our compressor pedals for your recording projects.

These two models share exactly the same audio-path circuitry apart from the Deluxe's parallel dry signal. The other difference, as you say, is the expanded LED display, however I don't find the 12-LED display vital for setting the pedal up for guitar or bass. Almost all of the components are the same manufacturer and tolerance, if not tighter on the Compact models.

I would buy a brand new Cali76 Compact Deluxe as you will then be covered by our 2 year warranty and if you ever need to buy another one it would be easily available. If you were interested in getting something as an investment I would get the large format one, however you mentioned that this isn't important to you.

I hope that this helps!

Regards,
    Jack
    ------------
    I then corresponded with him again to learn more about the Lundahl transformer in the 76TX-L model. This transformer improves the output frequency response to an amazing 7 Hz - 200 Khz. Therefore, I decided to spend the big bucks on a NOS 76TX-L with the Lundahl transformer, just to see if I could give the neighbor's German Shepherd fits. ;-)

The fact is, the Lundahl transformer is not even in the circuit unless you are running the unit at 18VDC. So I haven't even tried it yet. I ordered an 18V cable adapter for my VooDoo Pedal Power box, and promptly misplaced it as soon as I received it! So I can't give you a firsthand report yet on how it sounds with the Lundahl. But I can tell you this much - the darn thing is just amazing on both bass and guitar. You can easily set it so that you don't even know it's there, but then when you shut it off, you realize that it WAS actually there, doing its job like a ninja. No effect on the tone at all, it only affects the attack, decay, and overall amplitude, exactly as you'd want it to do. It adds no noise that I am able to detect. The LED's do add something of a "cool" factor, but they really just give you a visual representation of something that your ears are already telling you anyway, so strictly speaking, they are not really necessary. If I had money to throw away (which I did), I would get the one I got (which I did). But if I just merely wanted an absolutely amazing compressor and I was only concerned about how well it works in the real world, I would just get a new Deluxe.

Fact is, I have been using an AnalogMan Bi-Compressor for many years. I saw Tony Levin using it, and figured if it was good enough for him, it was good enough for me. Well, the AnalogMan is certainly a great unit, but now that I have the Cali76TX-L, the AnalogMan has been moved over to my guitar pedalboard.

Hope that helps,

John

15. bassmeatball

bassmeatball

Feb 5, 2017
    Tampa
    That's amazing. I haven't seen the Lindahl versions. I imagine you have to get them used now that they're discontinued?

16. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Used is the only way to get one now, and yes, most folks agree they sound better than the compact version, especially on a P-Bass w/flats playing Motown songs.
    There is one for sale near me on CL, but IMHO, the $1000 asking price is too high.

What kind of music do you mainly play?
    Letting us know that would help guide you to the best compressor for your needs, and as ddnidd pointed out, the ovnilabs reviews are spot-on, & a great place to begin your quest for your personal ultimate bass compressor. :thumbsup:

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  17. They sound identical - apart from the transformer, The compact has more options and a smaller footprint. Before paying up to 1.000,- for a used one with a transformer, I would rather additonally buy a good transformer based DI like the Neve RNDI or a transformer based preamp like the API TranZformer LX.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

How will you be using it?

2 years ago I managed to snag a pre-production version of the Cali76 G-P from Origin: Simon guaranteed that it's the same as the production version minus the internal HPF jumpers. I absolutely love it: best compressor I've ever owned (including rackmounts), but to be honest, it's overkill for me because all I ever use it for is bar gigs with cover bands. :D Note: I'm not trying to say that I could settle for any ol' compressor -- my point is that I don't believe I'd notice the audio difference between the Compact and any of the larger Calis at my gigs. As for other differences: the Compact would be a better fit for the small stages I often play, but I love the LED ladder on the larger Cali.

IngloriousOz likes this.
  19. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Were you able to play the CB through your Noble? I'm looking to upgrade my main board's compressor from the Keeley Compressor Pro (which will get moved to my fly board) to the Cali CB as I love the idea of the HPF and blend options, and would love to hear your thoughts as an other bassist running a Noble.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have the TX and I love watching those LED's dance :) The only downside is the large footprint but seeing everything they squeezed into this pedal I understand why.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021