Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

California audio tech schools?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I know what I want to do with my life...

I want to be a producer... I want the responsibility of making great music, sound perfect...

But where do I go to school?

I can mix garage bands all I want... I can use N-Track studio all I want, but a real school would be great.

any places in california?

2. I'n not sure if this would fit the bill or not, but this school is near Oakland, CA less than 300 miles from Bakersfield. I've never gone to this school so I can't comment on how good it is.

But they do offer dirt cheap recording demo's for bands.

http://www.expression.edu/index.html

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, the Ex'Pression Center for New Media is good. I know a couple people who teach there. There are a number of schools that offer degree programs in audio engineering and production.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    San Francisco State had a great music and recording program for many years. I hope it survived the budget troubles of recent times. I took classes in that program and it was a great experience. Expressions is getting a lot of lip service, but I am under the impression that they are like The Academy of Art "University" in San Francisco - lacking critical accreditation (makes it really hard to transfer to a four-year for that degree). I know Cal State East Bay (formerly known as Cal State Hayward) has good multimedia programs. UCLA (or is it USC?), because of the film school, must have good production facilities. A good place to start is at Diablo Valley College (a community college) in Pleasant Hill. They have a really good music department. Well, that's all I can think of right now. Wait! Didn't some school use to advertise in Rolling Stone ? I think it was the Columbia Broadcasting School or something like that. That may have been in LA.

5. Just a word of warning, a degree in this field really guarantees you nothing as far as getting work.

I did an audio engineering degree, and although I absolutely loved it, it hasn't helped me (much) in getting work. I still make more playing bass gigs, and working part time, than I do doing freelance audio stuff... and finidng a regular gig with a studio is damn near impossible in my experience.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying do it because you're going to really enjoy it and don't expect anything as a result of the diploma.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    That's true...I was contemplating a career change and getting into recording engineering, but a little peak into the salary and the problems getting a job turned me away. Decided to leave music as a hobby! But you have to find your own path in life, no matter what others think.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It also helps to know certain people when you want to break into the recording industry. Otherwise, you pretty much have to be a revolutionary in your own right to really be able to get any where.