Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

California here I come!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 7, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, due to an illness on my Mom's side of the family, I am taking a week off and taking a road trip.

I will be going from Dallas to Moreno Valley, CA by way of Tempe(The Bass Place, anyone?:D).

So, you guys and gals in SoCal, when I get to Moreno Valley, where should I go to look at basses?

I have the option of LA Bass Exchange, or Bass Alone. Which would be worth driving 100+ miles to drool over stuff that I can't afford? And if I pick LABX, what is the traffic like from Moreno Valley to LA? Is it any better on a Sunday?

Anyone else have any recommendations for stores, and also sites to see, etc?

We are going back by way of Sequoia National Park, Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Roswell NM, Carlsbad Caverns, and Guadalupe Mountains, to be back in Dallas by Friday of next week, leaving tomorrow afternoon.

So, if anyone has taken a trip anywhere similar to that one, is that too optimistic and ambitious, in the amount of time I have?

2. embellisher

Come on, SoCal people, give me some help here!:)

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    May I say welcome on behalf of the NorCal contingent. Maybe you can come up north if you have the time. We don't have Bass Exchange or Bass Alone, but we have Gelb music and they stock F Basses!

C'mon, F basses, you haven't lived till you've seen a row of six or seven of those beasts all in one place!:)

Did I mention the rows of Ken Smiths and Zons?:p

4. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

gelb only has bolt-on Ken Smiths..... :mad:

and few if any Zons last time i was there...

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    yeah, but Em-bel doesn't know that...;)

Actually, I only went to Gelb once. That place is dangerous for people with our kind of...apetite.

6. embellisher

BW, I won't have time to go to NorCal, what with the hectic schedule that I detailed above. The farthest north that I will get will be Death Valley, and that's too far east to go to the left coast.

Munjibunga, Gabu, you other SoCal folks, help me out!:)

7. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Darn the luck Emb, but you ain't gonna be more then a 30 minuet drive from where I currently hang my hat! :D

If you wanna go look at basses, you're pretty much going to have to settle for Bass Alone or the LA Bass Exchange. I like the LABE better, myself. Other then that it's just all mom-and-pop stores and Guitar Centers.

Ahh, silly boy...traffic is bad ALL the time heading into LA. Although it should be considerably less busy on a Sunday. Give yourself about 1 1/2-2 hours to get to LA, just in case.

And as for your planned excursions...I don't know if you'll fit all those in unless you plan on being away for a while.

Let me know when you're getting to Moreno Valley. I'll keep an eye out for you on the 60. ;)

8. i've lived in LA all my life, and I have never been to the LA Bass Exchange!!!...or Bass Alone!!!

i'd love to go there...but drooling over instruments that I can't afford is not my thing, it's torture.

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    MB,

I've never been to either store, but personally, I would go down to Bass Alone. LA Bass Exchange is up by Bull's B@!!$ (Oxnard), which isn't exactly the Garden Spot of SoCal. Plus, from the Inland Empire where you are, it's a nightmare of world-infamous freeway traffic to get there. On the other hand, just take I-15 south, and badda-bing, badda-boom, you're in America's Finest City. Plus, on the way, right off the 15, is a Guitar Center (big whoop) and the Carvin factory showroom, which is a lot of fun. The SD Wild Animal Park is right off the 15 as well.

In San Diego, you've got the zoo, Sea World (which is nearby), Old Towne, Balboa Park and jillion other things to do. And it's clean. You can walk across the border to Tijuana, too. And if you want to see some of the finest coastal views in the world, on the way back up, take PCH up north and cut back across on the 78.

It's a beautiful place. I miss it. :( On Sunday I'm going to Japan for week though...anyone know any good music stores in Tokyo? ;)

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Swimmin pools, movie stars...

Seriously, I wish the best for your ill family member.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Talking of Melnibone.....have you seen/read Moorcock's return to his favourite character :Elric?

I am in the middle of a paperback just out in 2002 :"The Dreamthief's Daughter" - although it say the story was originally published in the UK in 2001.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No, I was not aware of a new Elric story. I would like to check it out; however, since I am an old man, in my last year of getting my computer degree, taking the advanced courses, I really don't have the time to read for pleasure (which is one reason my time spent here lately has been limited). I will definately read it after I graduate at the end of this year. Elric is my favorite Moorcock character. Thanks for the info.

13. Sorry to hear about the family, Emb. I too am displaced at the moment due to family health issues (lost my grandmother Monday). If I had more time here in T-Town, Oklahoma, I'd be runnin' all over doing the meet & greets.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ...Here is your message:

Hey man. :)

I am sorry to hear about the illness in your family. My wife and I wish you and your family the best.

My wifey and I live in Long Beach, which is not too far from LABX, Guitar Center, Carvin... etc etc.

562-984-2562 is our home number. Please feel free to call and maybe we can take you out to dinner one night when you are around. :)

Gabriel

15. Sorry to hear about the family problems Jeff.
    Good Luck getting through all.

On the subject of going to California.

Are you going with an aching in your heart?

16. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    well . . .Moreno Valley is out by Riverside, and if you mean the Bass Alone that is in San Diego . . .
    well, that will be quite a bit of a disappointment - (although SeaWorld is close by)
    I guess an online store like that can really have near zero inventory and drop ship equipment like basses or amps/cabs direct from the manufacturer - I expected to be able to try a BagEnd cab there, but it really was pretty sad the lack of equipment there.

now, if you want to venture into West LA and Santa Monica I know a place with lots (at least twenty) of used Fenders and MusicMans (not exactly cheap/this ain't eBay -- and not open Sundays)
    also, the Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. is unlike any other GC with the RockWalk in front (bring a camera)

17. I dropped by Bass Alone last year when I was in San Diego and it was a great experience. They had tons of basses and amps. Ken Lawrence was doing a little "drool over my basses" clinic there. I stayed for an hour or so. The owner (DiMaggio) was very nice and set me up with the Azola's so I could get some fresh DB strings.

18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Actually, I've been to a couple of good music stores in Tokyo. There is a good one in Akihabara, the electronics district, but I don't remember the name of it (it was in Japanese anyway). If you can get someone there to get you to Akihabara (there is a train stop there) you should be able to find it. There is a picture of me and 2 members of my band there on my web page (see link below). They had decent prices on Japanese basses, but American made basses were EXPENSIVE, probably because of tariffs. I bought a bass at a small music store in Yokosuka, about 45 miles SW of Tokyo. It is a Yamaha BBN5A, and it is in a color I've never seen on one in the U.S., kind of a burgundy sunburst with a quilted maple top. Have a great time...

By the way, my band has played at the Mustang Club at Osan a couple of times. Had a great time, hung out a lot at the Tiger Club just outside the gate.

19. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    well probably not the usual inventory then -

it's pretty barren now, with a couple cabs and heads along the wall and nothing Bag End like I was led to believe by the online site -
    but sure, a nice guy and check him out if you're close by -- but probably a bit disappointing for a brutal drive from Riverside area.

20. Bass_Cadet

Bass_Cadet Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Hope this isn't too late:

I think LA Bass Exchange is worth the drive but they are CLOSED on Sunday and Monday.

Haven't been to Bass Alone although I was in SD a few weeks ago. I'm in between (Orange County).

Good luck and hope things work out.