1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

California to outlaw black cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by coreyfyfe, Apr 30, 2009.

1. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'm not a typical reader of this website, so I can't really lend any credibility to the publication or their sources, but my boss just emailed me this and I thought it was a little odd. Any one in Cali caught wind of this?

http://www.examiner.com/x-2304-DC-Republican-Examiner~y2009m3d26-California-to-Outlaw-Black-Cars

"In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black.
    What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers."

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Another reason CA is teh suck. :smug:

By that rationale, everyone in MA should have black cars. Should help them start on those sunny, albeit artic winter mornings, no?

;)

3. azmati

azmati

Nov 20, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
  4. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    true or not it would never pass

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  6. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    add in the fact that using ur ac doesnt use more gasoline anyway because the belts that drive ur ac motor are ALWAYS driving ur ac motor anyway. it would have been kinda funny had they restricted darker color cars based on an old wives tale

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    No it's true. Sadly, this represents some of the genius we have in Sacremento. Just lame all around.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I find it interesting that such a flawed group (the ruling class) of people know what's best for the rest of us.

9. Hi.

Actually makes sense, but I doubt that it'll pass.

WOW, that really made my day, thanks for the laugh. :hyper:

You're kidding, right?

Right?

Just for the record, it's not a motor, it's a compressor and there's a clutch in the pulley that's disengaged when AC is not in use. Since the cooling efficiency is always really low, AC pushes the fuel consumption up quite a bit.

Regards
    Sam

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I find it funny how detached they are. It's like these guys are elected to represent us, but they come from another planet. Don't get me started. This will turn political.

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Next up--- fat people can't wear dark clothes because it makes their heart work more.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :confused: the belts that run your A/C compressor always run...but it's not under load unless the A/C is on.

Care to further enlighten us on this matter?

13. And if dark colors really absorb heat, how come shadows aren't hotter than sunshine, hmmm?

14. Because shadows aren't in the sunlight. :rollno: :p

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Because shadows aren't a color. They're the absence of light :rollno:

16. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    if your car has AC the belts are routed around a pully on the front of the Compressor. the clutches on the compressor kick on and off all the time whether your AC is running or not. the reason it does this is that the chemical used for cooling (freon, synthetic, whatever it may be) also acts as a lubricant within the compressor keeping it from locking up (and therefore messing ur car up) when you turn you AC on all ur doing is rerouting the cooling agent to a radiator like device that a fan blows across and delivers to you in the car.. said fan also wouldnt use more gasoline as it runs off of your battery

old wives tale

PS. AC also doesnt take away power from your engine

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Thanks for the snopes link. That site is the great BS buster. Obviously the ruling class doesn't bother to check whether they exist or not. ;)

The AC compressor puts a drag on the engine, as does the alternator, power steering pump, etc. Thus, it does consume more fuel to operate. When the compressor's clutch is engaged, it's a pretty large drag.

Dark-colored cars can get hotter inside when they sit in the sun, but a black car parked in the sun with shades in the windshield and windows slightly open will probably be considerably cooler than a white car sealed up with no sun shades.

The chances that black cars will be outlawed are pretty slim, but the notion is good material for hyper people who like to get wound up (or wind up others).

18. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    but the clutches engage and disengage constantly whether u are running ur ac or not so it has no bearing on fuel consumption

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    But periodic, momentary clutch engagement is not the same thing as the full-time engagement that occurs when you A/C is on.

Running you A/C can result in higher fuel economy only when aerodynamic drag from open windows outweighs the extra consumption needed to run the A/C.

Lastly, are you saying that when I'm driving up a steep grade and I turn my A/C on halfway up and I experience a marked decrease in speed and power, I'm only imagining that?

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That would be an indication that your AC is malfunctioning.

In a properly working AC system, turning on the AC engages the compressor clutch periodically to maintain pressure; turning it off shuts off the clutch.

This action was more readily apparent on older, carbureted cars. They often had a small motor, actuated along with the AC clutch, on the carb that would open up the throttle plate's idle position a little to compensate for the added drag of the AC compressor. At idle, if you had the AC turned on, the engine would run at maybe about 750 rpm, then the compressor would kick on and the engine would stumble for a fraction of a second, and then stabilize at maybe 775 to 800 rpm as the throttle was opened a little more. Then when the compressor disengaged, the throttle would drop back to its original position, set by the idle stop screw.