1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

California vehicle fees question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. So if I move to California to start grad school, but I'm not employed by anyone in the state, do I have to pay California emissions fees, car tax, etc.?
  2. If you register your car in the state, you do. But if you keep your registration current in your home state, I think you're okay.
  3. Sweet. The question is, will I have to register my car in Cali? I know I'll have to move my insurance over there. (That is gonna be heinously expensive, since USC isn't in one of the safer parts of Los Angeles.)
  4. A lot of people don't; I remember reading in the paper awhile back that it was a sort of loophole that out-of-staters took advantage of. My sense is that if you're not a resident, you won't be required to change your registration.
  5. ...but you will be a resident so you probably will have to change your registration. If I remember correctly from my old drivers handbook (too long ago), you only get 2 weeks to drive around with out of state plates, but I guess no one's counting the days so you could theoretically get away with it for quite a while.
  6. Yeah, and since I'm going to be living in USC-owned housing for my first semester there, I have a pretty good chance of being noticed by campus cops.

    My brother at Berkeley has been sporting his Illinois plates ever since he moved to Cali almost a year ago, but he lives in a non-university-registered apartment complex that doesn't give a rat's patoot about such things. He's also been told by a traffic cop that it's really not a big deal.

    I'm gonna try to stick it out with my Illinois plates/registration for as long as possible. I figure that if I could go to college in New York for four years without having to register there, I might be able to pull off the same trick in Cali.
  7. Finger Blister

    Finger Blister

    Jul 8, 2003
    Good Luck.

    As a fourth generation L.A. native, I can say with
    authority that L.A. sucks and the USC area is a

    Natives don't use the word "Cali."
  8. Enh, I'm from Illinois. It's not like I'd sound anything like a native anyway.
  9. Don't worry about registering your car here in California, most students at USC from out of state don't.

    Both my roommates are from Seattle, and the one who has a car kept his Washington plates. Plenty of Colorado/Washington/Texas plates on cars around 'SC, and I've noticed a couple Illinois plates, as well as Wisconsin etc., so it shouldn't be a problem.

    I doubt DPS will be giving you any trouble over it.
  10. Tip: Natives DO use the word "cali". down south they use "a grip" too. Also remember, Northern California is not "NoCal," it's "NorCal," but southern California is "SoCal". Man, I love this state.

    P.S. If you say it like No'Cal all thug like, I might not take offense, but you best watch yo' back, foo.
  11. Finger Blister

    Finger Blister

    Jul 8, 2003
    Sorry, after being born, raised and living
    in the Valley for 23 years, and then living the
    next 16 years in the S.F. Bay Area I just never
    knew anyone who used the word 'Cali'
    except for punk kids. Wouldn't want to be
    be mislabeled.

    Advice stands.
  12. Well, that explains it. I guess by "punk kids" you mean the younger generation. I'm in college now and people say it all the time. Hopefully by the time I'm your age I'll be mature enough to have grown out of that word...hopefully... but then I believe I've heard my chem prof last year say "cali" more than once.
  13. anyways, have you heard of the phrase "a grip"?
  14. yeah and out of state plates stick out like a sore thumb. I hear that cops will pull you over for no reason except to hassle you about your out of state plates. good luck!
  15. Ty McNeely

    Ty McNeely

    Mar 27, 2000
    I thought if you were a college student (even a grad student) that you didn't have to change your state of residency, and therefore don't have to change your plates since your car is still registered in your home state.