Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

California?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 5, 2003.

1. hello...

I really want to move to California in the future...and I was wondering if you could give me some ups and downs on where to go and not too and all that stuff...

Try to make me understand Cali:)

Pics are welcome:)!

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    California is a bunch of crossdressin yuppies. Speaking of that, will someone drive me to the store so I can buy some more eyeliner, mine ran out yesterday.

3. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    the bay area is sweet! LA blows...

stay north!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A cheap house is $400,000.

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I ran him through the house pricing, I think he blew his mind with the prices.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Can a 15 year old comprehend a CHEAP $400,000 home :confused:

I get a kick out of the "I'm movin' to Cali" type (no offence Jon, 1 dude out of the 3 dozen I know that did that actually prospored).

It sucks or is Great where ever you make it so!

You're in MD currently, you've got Baltimore & DC metro areas... move beyond that and Philly and NYC are day trips (I'm inbetween Philly and NYC and worked a few days here and ther down in Chantily, VA (south side of DC)) among many other kickin places. Just IMHO.

What's Cali got?

7. None offense taken,this is kind of a 'dream' for me...

Anyways,I cannot stand my neighborhood.It seems to be getting worse and worse every damn day...Also,it's very boring and there isn't much to do. I'd like to goto Cali because of the beach,babes,and It's more "alive" yah know?

Today...I was scared to go across the street with my skateboard and skate because I dun want to get mugged or whatever...

My neighborhood is crap,and I hate my school...

I'd like to live near the beach...I dunno,maybe I need to find a better place.

*shrug*

Damn expensive land though...:meh:

8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Well, I've been living in L.A. for 6 years (I came from Mexico City) I have a great job and all, but there's too much crime going on, last Christmas I went to Reno (Nevada) for 1 week and when I came back I found a window broken, my Peavey Cirrus 6 and some other stuff was gone, a month ago somebody stole my truck with my whole Eden rig from a Dennis parking lot (Vermont and first street) it sucks, I love California, I just hate all the F**** thieves, good God I needed to vent :oops:

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    cool! yeah crime is everywhere these days :meh:

I dig the water too... I bought my home 15-20 minutes from the ocean here in NJ :cool:

10. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am a resident of LA county- and I looove this place! Great weather, lots to do- and hot chicks to boot.

Central CA is pretty sweet- Yosemite kicks ass!

Northern California is really nice too. My uncle lives in Santa Rosa, and I have been up there a few times. San Fransisco is a pretty cool city- better than LA I would say.

Oh yeah... I heard that our new governer is Garey Coleman or something too... that could be good!

11. If I was gonna move to Cali it would be San Diego without a doubt.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just moved to California 3 weeks ago. I didn't know I was going to move here until 4 weeks ago. Here are some of my impressions so far.

The beach? Sorry dude, the water is cold. I mean really cold. Not many people swimming or in bathing suits unless you live in LA or further south. And it's still cold there too.

Is there more to do? Yeah, a little. But there's tons of stuff to do where ever you are, but if you've lived there a long time you tend to miss things. You find stuff to do in a different place because you are actively looking for things to do. Here there are just more people to do those things with or to organize things to do.

Are there babes here? Hell yes. But they do act very differently here than where I'm from (see my sob story in OT). There are also lots of good looking guys too, so you have much higher competition to entice a young strumpet.

Gas is expensive. Rent is expensive. Housing is expensive. Jobs are hard to find. Homeless people are everywhere.

Is it great? It's hella great (that's a Cali phrase, I understand). But it's also just another place. Home is what you make of it, my friend. Don't think that everything will be wonderful just because you are in a different location, because you still brought you. Sometimes an outlook needs changing before the scenery does.

13. NYC or NJ is where I wanna be, I wanna go to CGBG's and say that I pissed in the same bathroom as what the Ramones woulda done 20 years+ back!

;)

14. Very very true. Good stuff there.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I love Michigan, and I don't know much about living anywhere else in the states.

But if you can't find a job in Oakland County Michigan, it's because you haven't looked yet.

It's not the prettiest place, but you can have a very nice standard of living here, at about average expense.

You may need a snow shovel, boots, and a winter coat from November thru late March.

16. This is related to Speddling's reply post too:

Well...How about I move up some(NY/NJ) We can live near the beach...and be room mates!:D

That'd be so cool.(Not in like a sexual intercourse type of way:))

And...I heard the water is really cold. I dunno,maybe later in life I'll move near the beach,in a decent neighborhood...Any suggestions?

East Coast perfered...I wanna fish my ass off,and swim too! :)

I'd say florida...but I heard some bad things about that place.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup. Precisely the reason my family didnt move there when a job opportunity opened up there.

18. mmmmmm...Cali -drools- Great place to be man :):) Lots of fresh air (unless ur in LA), great people, great atmosphere and of course, I'm here, so how couldn't it be good :p Go for it Mr. Jon O. Spears!

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Depends on where in FL you're looking. There are parts that outright SUCK - I hate south FL, for instance :p...no offense to the SoFlo folks on the board), too many people, too hot, too expensive, too...

The southwest coast is very nice (ask mikemulcahy, he is in sarasota), and parts of the upper east coast are cool, north of Daytona Beach.

The panhandle is great, although not as "happening" as other places. Good beaches, not a bad gig scene if you're open-minded, but it is a bit "bo-hunk" at times. I really like the area just east of Destin but before you get close to Panama City.

Orlando (my home) is a nice enough town, and has the added bennie of being the homebase of Bass Central :d (my day gig :cool: ). There is plenty of opportunity for gigging, lots to do, and for about half of the year the weather is wonderful. Summer (which really starts in April and lasts until October) SUCKS HARD. Orange juice is cheap here too! ;)

That said, it is hot and flat here, and if you like more interesting geography or more comfortable climates, it may not be the place for you.

20. yea stay north..San Diego is bad um kay!:rolleyes: