Caligraphy Pen?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I got a caligraphy pen for christmas. I love the thing Notation is so easy to make beutiful! It just looks "right"(duh)

Any one else?

2. I didn't get one for Chrismas.
    I did when I was about 14 years old.

I loved it, then I dropped the ink one to many times and the set disapeared.

Maybe I will get another.
    Pretty cool, you can write the word mud and feel like an artist.

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    nope, but I'd never thought of it's use in notation. Maybe I'll get one now... still, the jazz scores done like that can sometimes be hard to read...
  4. I've been doing this for a while now. For fountain pens I like the English Osmiroid or the German Rot Ring. Lately I've just been using the Japanese Kuratake markers. (lazy, I know)

Helpful hint: If you get good at it - CHARGE PEOPLE!

Being the mushy sap that I am, I've done hundereds of diplomas, invitations and cards for free! :bawl:

Seriously, it's a nice hobby, but, it can be maddening. See what it's like to write out a long poem for someone and then misspell a word right at the end. :bawl:

I've always been a big history buff, but, whether you're into history or not, Calligraphy will pull you into it as you begin copying historical quotes, and almost every calligraphy book has a little story about where and when a certain hand (style of alphabet) came from.

Did you know the style of letters on our modern typewriter was fashioned after Carolingian Miniscule, a hand created by Alcuin of York for Charlemagne who was functionally illiterate? Now you do. It's in the book, Medieval Calligraphy: It's History and Technique - Buy this book! It's great.

Teachers will think you are a very serious student.(I had 'em fooled) Another benefit is that you will rarely misspell a word. Believe me.

I really should write more than I do, but, this is a hobby that just won't let go of me. I'm glad it won't.

If you seem to be making slow progress, don't give up. It will come to you eventually.

Evil hint: All women (especially after wine) love to see their name written in Italic. Once you foot is in the door, convince them that they need to accompany you to get more ink, which is conveniently located back at your place. Don't laugh. ;) :D

Carry your pens with you often. Write a little everyday.
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Thats great guys.

What I meant though is that music notation looks great.Once you get used to the pen its amazing, beams and flags and everything are so easy to make correctly.For instance where theres fine lines and thick lines.

Try it! youll see what I mean.

Michael I'm sure you Idea's would work too