caling all Bass players who have flight cases

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FreedomGundam, Aug 28, 2005.

1. FreedomGundam

Aug 26, 2005
    I know I have a thread like this somewhere else.. but didn't hear much from people. I thank Jimmy for his input. But those people who have a flight case. You know that your bass is going where your luggage is.. how do you set up your bass to makesure the neck will be fine? Do you tune down the strings a bit if so to what then? Or keep them on normal tuning E-A-D-G.

Again, sorry for creating almost a same thread, but I need a bit more feeback from other people. Thankyou for those who tried and talked to me. But I want to see how others do it also.

I do have a Gator Flight case for my base.. everyting is fine just worried about neck to strings wise. how do you guys or girls prepare your bass for the flights.

Please Mods.. have mercy on this poor college boy that is a newbe to the bass world and to these forums. and allow this thread if possible stay up here for a bit. because I really care for my dear Cassandra Destiny (Fender Jazz bass).
  2. i shipped my yamaha TRB4II from england to australia with no probs at all - in its stock flight case. i cant see there being any prob with the lack of padding underneath the neck as you have copious amounts of pressure from the strings pulling the neck in the opposite direction!
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've been told you should keep it in tune. im sure there are people who disagree.

just my .02
  4. I knocked mine down half a step, or whole step, cant remember, either way, just so there was still tension, but not as much as there usually is

Think about it, is its going where your luggage is. its going to get mighty cold, and metals contract when they become colder, so, that was my reasoning behind it

Also, i had a case, cant remember what it was called, its sitting in the other room and cant be arsed looking for it now, but i wrapped it in duc tape that was fiberglass reinforced, just to stop the case from popping open, its one of those plastic gator style cases, not a full metal ATA one

When i eventually got it back, it was bashed to hell, but the bass was in one piece, so it did its job i guess, the scarey thing was having to wait a week for them to get my bass back to me (they stuck it on the wrong plane at a connecting flight :grr:
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't use a "regular" hardshell case - I've seen several come out of baggage claim with baseball-sized holes punched right through the case. One was a molded plastic case, the other two were the tolex-covered wood cases. One time I saw a Strat come down the baggage claim chute before its case came down. Chunks out of that guitar . . . I couldn't help but wait around and see the reaction of the poor guy who was there to claim it. He held it in disbelief . . .

If you are going to check your bass with the baggage, you need a full ATA-300 spec case with metal edges and butterfly latches, or the SKB bass safe. Any regular case is just playing russian roulette.
  6. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Back in my road days I had Calzone flight cases for my two jazz basses. Never had any problems, and I always kept them in tune. The only disconcerning experience was when I played in Alaska. Our gear got there a day before us and the club we were playing at left it all in a trailer, outside, -8 degrees F!

So when we brought everything in, I had to wait a few hours for the cases to warm up (I had two '62 RI at the time) so that the finish would not crack from the extreme temp change.....
  7. I detune maybe a quarter step... I figure it probably doesn't matter and can't hurt. I use the SKB 'roller case'. What a wonderful thing... you just put your gig bag in the roller case and off you go.... seems very sturdy, has a handle and wheels for chugging through the airport with luggage, etc. I don't fly with an instrument a lot, but have used it a few times over the last year or so and it came through great. And, once you get to your destination, you take the gig bag out and you are in business... versus dragging a heavy case to and from the venue.

The only downside is that the fit with a gig bag is very tight (as it should be I guess)... so you need to empty the gear pockets and put the stuff in your luggage.

Finally, for you Fodera players out there.... I saw a guy selling a Fodera at Bass Northwest, and he indicated that the standard Fodera hard case fits into the SKB roller case.... so you would have ultimate protection there!
  8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just was in Eastern Europe for a short gig and I took my Smith along in a Gator flight case. I took the strings down a bout a 1/2 step and had no problems. On the way back I didn't take them down and had no problems. The case was solid as a rock. Both guitar players cases did the job but had some bad dings in them and had to be bent back into shape but the guitars were fine. Go with an ATA approved case and you'll be a happy guy.
  9. I totally agree, altho i dont think ill be going anywhere with my good gear anytime soon, im never going to use a molded or standard hardcase, not with the way they handle stuff at airports
  10. FreedomGundam

Aug 26, 2005
    So what I'm trying ot get out for help for me is that its up to peoples opinions to tune it down a little or keep it in perfect tune. Its only going to be in the flight for 2 hours... maybe 2 hours and 15 mintues max.

I just don't want to damage up my bass. Trying to make sure everything will go well.