Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Call me a sheilding convert...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by georgestrings, Dec 15, 2005.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    ... After reading the FAQ thread on sheilding, I decided to give it a shot on my "noisier" bass - a MIM P bass I picked up this past summer... I used aluminum tape, and used 2 small screws through 2 strategically located overlapping flaps I made to keep things totally connected - and ran some tape on the underside of the pickguard along the wiring path from the pots to the pickups... I left the ground wire between the pots and the jack connected, figuring the pots and jack would make a decent mechanical ground with the pickguard - and ran a ground wire from the jack to one of the screws I put in the body, connected with a ringed terminal... I verified a complete ground with a multimeter, and also verified the bridge ground with same, then put everything back together...

The result of my efforts was a completely quiet P bass, even with my amp cranked, volume and treble pots wide open, and hands off - in fact, what *was* my "quiet" bass(another MIM P bass) now seemed noisey in comparison - so I got halfway through doing THAT one this afternoon before taking a break to type this up... I already had the tape and other materials, so it literally cost me nothing - and took less than 2 hours, taking my sweet time...

If anyone's thinking about doing this, I'd HIGHLY recommend it...

- georgestrings

2. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for posting about this. I've been considering giving it a try on my Telecaster. Problem is I have no idea where to get materials locally. I know you said you already had the tape. Do you remember where you got it?

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, a friend who does heating and plumbing gave it to me - you should be able to pick some up at a Home Depot, or any heating supply house... The inside of the roll says "Nashua" - if that's any help...

- georgestrings

4. irjason

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    :hyper: Thanks!

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    irjason - I probably used about 2 feet per P bass - if you have trouble finding some for a reasonable price, IM me... tell ya what, though - a roll of this tape is handy to have around the house...

- georgestrings

6. irjason

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks again. I appreciate the offer.

7. hmm_odd

hmm_odd Guest

Dec 14, 2005
  8. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    the obvious question is wether or not it affected the tone at all? ...I'm assuming not since you didn't mention it.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I can't say yet, Larry - because I changed out the PUPs at the same time I sheilded the 1st one - although I have to believe that if there was any tonal change, the elimination of hum would lend itself towards tonal improvement/stronger signal... When I finish the job on my other bass(no PUP change), I'll post again to address your question - should be sometime today...

- georgestrings

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Although, my p bass was always quiet. I did it and my other basses just because. My project p/j really benefitted due to it's single coil 'j'. It quieter now with the j pup solo'd (it's a Carvin j99) than my Carvin lb70p with either pup solo'd

11. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I did the same thing to my Lakland DJ 4 last week. Kind of disappointing actually for a $1000+ bass. As far as I could tell it had zero shielding.

Before doing it I had static noise when touching the strings and when a pickup was soloed LOUD hum/buzz. Now it is very quiet. It might loose a little of the sparkle on the top end from the shielding but it is hard to tell.

I use copper tape, but mostly the shielding paint that I got from Stewart-McDonald guitar supply. At least a strip of tape in each cavity connected together via a ground wire, then paint over the copper and up the sides. I'm also very careful to have a single ground point for all grounds before I run a lone wire to the ground tab of the jack.
    Lex

12. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I read a quote from Dan Lakin saying he left the JO sig bass unshielded because he thought it affected the tone - true for the skyline and USA models. ...I guess same for the DJ? I may get my JO shielded one of these days because it is kinda noisy.

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    OK - You're a shielding convert!

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

OK, now I've had a chance to play the 2nd P bass I sheilded - the one whose pickups I didn't change... While the sheilding job really quieted up any hum, it didn't change the tone of the bass any that I could notice...

- georgestrings