Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Call me crazy, but do you like a little fret buzz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    First off, I'm a huge fan of that gritty midfreq. sound. I've been listening to some Marcus Miller live stuff and he has a slight bit of fret buzz and I love the way it sounds it add a little grit to the sound. Someone, please back me on this!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In certain kinds of music, a little fretbuzz adds some meat to the sound.

3. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I love the effect a little fret buzz has on the tone of 'old school' style basses (Fender, Rickenbacker, etc.) - it adds a warm, midrange grind.
    I don't like it on modern sounding basses (Warwick, Modulus, etc.) as it sounds buzzy to my ears.

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Guilty as charged. I also like some fret buzz, both for my own playing, and also listening to recordings. That's why Leland Sklar's bass sound on James Taylor's "Your Smiling Face" has always been one of my favorite recorded bass tones.
    Ahhhh. :D

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

No. Never. I want to hear my playing not something that I associate with a poor setup or bad technique. Just my take.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    My session player Uncle turned me on to ever-so-slight fret buzz. At first I said "you serious?" then he started jamming on his sterling and it sounded freaking great. Now whatever bass I get I have my luthier set up to "lowest possible action" and it's usually right on the money. I'm pretty sure I've heard a few Miller tracks where he has some buzz going on.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Listen to Sublime's "Ebin" you can hear how good it sounds. Sorry for the double post. Man I want to marry Eric Wilson. :eyebrow:

8. only if there is a good fat bottom under it. i hate bass tones that have no bass, kinda defeats the purpose eh? :eyebrow:

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's actually neither.

Any thoughts on Stanley Clarke's technique?

;)

I've come to embrace this as another tool in my arsenal. What may be missed is that it's not mandatory... you can also play without it. I have basses with excellent setups where if I dig in just a bit harder... there it is:D

The other thing is that it can sound bad alone and killer in the mix... where it really counts.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It bugs the he[ck] out of me wherever I hear it. If I do it on accident or whatnot I consider it a "mistake." I work on having a light touch on the right hand combined with "strong" fretting with the left hand. Just because Stanley Clarke does it, means I have to find it acceptable. I've heard Victor do it on accident as well. Still bugs me. Perhaps it's just neurosis.

I just prefer clean clear sound.

11. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    king`s X 'dogman" album - a lot of fretbuzz, but the tone is huge, and wery warm, fills up the low frequencies very well - in fact, in some tunes the guitar is recorded only on one channel, so you can lisen a version without it - just bass, drums and voice :)

i do like a little bit of fretbuzz in my own playing, but i really prefer to have it only when i dig in...

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I am a huge fan of a little fret noise. To me it's more of an effect like when listening to jazz and the bassist is getting that same sound with an upright when the string hits the fingerboard.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brad, I agree 100%. If a bass can't be set up where buzz only happens when I want it, it's not worth having. I have my basses set up very low(too low for a lot of people) but can play without buzz. A couple of them have audible buzz when played unamplified, but it doesn't come through the amp. But when I want that sound, all I have to do is dig in a little and there it is.

And I also agree that it sounds better in the mix than it does in the bedroom.

It is just another spice. Just like slap, tap, and chords. If overused, any spice is cumbersome and tasteless. But when used sparingly, and when the song calls for it...

14. Brad - great post.

Jeff - 100% agree.

15. Yes, fret buzz is pretty good, when my Warwick Rockbass was tuned B E A D with a very high action, I got a bit of fret buzz, and boy did it make the bass growl.

16. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    A touch of fret buzz certainly aids a good grind & growl sound for rock music..... as long as there is sufficient low end behind it! :bassist:

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Interesting post! If I'm using a pick and going for a hi-fi or piano type tone, I don't want to hear any fret buzz. If I'm playing a warm finger style tone, a little fret buzz does kind of add a little something extra to the sound. I will say though that I typically set basses up with the intent of achieving normal play with no fret buzz.

18. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, I like a little fret buzz. It's not bad technique when it's done on purpose. ;) As mentioned before, whatever serves the music.

When I was learning to play, I was very anti-buzz and the slightest little "bzzzrrp" drove me nuts. That was before I discovered that a lot of the bassists I like had a little buzz to get their aggressive tones. Just another spice.

19. Think Rush.

Geddy has tons of fret buzz, but it adds to his overdrive.

Fretbuzz actually does at quite a lot to overdrives, and distortions.

20. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I was going to mention Doug Pinnick as well. There is a certain new string rattle that complements the whole buzz sound and I think gives overdriven bass sounds a lot of character. Otherwise it starts to sound like a detuned guitar.
    I read a story about John Entwistle and his Alembics on another site. Some people from Alembic were bringing some new basses to John before a Who show. John always wanted the lowest possible action so they had been struggling to get the action where he wanted it without a ton of buzz. They ran out of time and handed the basses over to John with an apology for the buzzing. John plugged them in, tried them out and said, "what buzzing?"