1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Call me crazy but some of my favorite bassists to listen to as of late are organists!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 3toes, Mar 19, 2009.

1. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'm a huge fan of cool/groove jazz-funk type stuff like Soulive and the Stanton Moore Trio. I'm always amazed at the coordination and sense of groove the groups' organists have in laying down the basslines on the foot pedals while going off on the keys as well. These guys are gonna put me out of a job!

edit: Here's a show Stanton played at the Pour House here in Charleston late last summer: http://www.archive.org/details/stanton2008-09-11.3channel_matrix.flacf16 free download audience recording. Came through quite well too!

2. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Huge +1 to this. Many of my favorite bass lines are played on organ. Neal Evans from Soulive creates some of the sickest, deepest bass lines with his left hand while still funkin' the clav and organ. Marco Benevento is also insane at both pedal and left hand bass lines, a lot of times using chord tones I would never have thought of. Stevie Wonder was also a master at funkin' the left hand and making it work with his bassist.

The Duo with a guest guitarist. If you weren't watching, you'd swear there was another guy in there playing bass :p:

Robert Walters on that recording you posted is definitely tearing it up!

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Yeah, it was a great show. I was lucky enough to be able to make it out that evening. Haha, on more than one occasion I found myself mesmerized by watching the speaker in his Leslie speed up and slow down :p

4. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    the benevento russo duo is sick....they killed it moedown

5. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

I agree as well. i've been fortunate in having three organ players in my last two bands and can't live without it. great when you get to step out for a solo and the bottom doesn't disappear.

6. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    That's probably the one instrument above all others that I wish I could play in addition to my bass.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Joey DeFrancesco plays a mean bass on his B-3.

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    +1
    There are also a LOT of "church/classical" organists who do the same.
    I LOVE pipe organs with the floor-to-ceiling pipes for bass that you can REALLY feel.

9. Jimmy Smith ... :)

10. Without a doubt, Bach was the greatist bass guitarist who never actually touched one. Listen to some of his bass lines on his organ music. Amazing!