1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Call me crazy but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by murph7489, Oct 25, 2018.

1. I play a 5 string into a peavey mini max head that drives a 15" TE cab...that's it..no effects, compression or EQ rack etc etc..I play straight in using the bass primarily to get my sound..I think I may be the only one that does this..

2. Not that crazy. I was you until my current band, which does a lot of dance/pop stuff that requires effects.

3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    No effects here. Just a Keeley Bassist in an always on setting into my Mesa D-800+ into 2 Subway cabs and couldn’t be happier. Effects are fun to mess around with, but I’m a purist.

4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    You're crazy! (Just following directions....)

JaseyT, Rumbledore, pcake and 3 others like this.
  5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    If you were really crazy you would post this in the effects section ;)

safikex, Wisebass, Microbass and 25 others like this.
  6. bass > instrument wire > amp

That's all, most of the time.
    Sometimes I use DigiTech Drop in between the bass & the amp.

pappabass, pcake and murph7489 like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lots of us here don't use effects.

pappabass, murphy, Wisebass and 8 others like this.
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Tone is in the hands.

pappabass, GlennRH, Inky13 and 2 others like this.
  9. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I dig it all.
    The smallest setup I ever played live with was a bass, clip on tuner and a cable. No amp at all, they had decent 15" monitor wedges.
    I did a ton of gigs with just bass, amp head and cabinet and I also did those where I played a pedalboard that dwarfed those of the guitar players.
    The sound is everywhere. In the fingers, in the cab, in the amp and of course in the pedals, too.

matante and dnp41 like this.
  10. I agonized over what area to put this in...I thought could be bass. could be amps n cabs. could be effects in the end I played it safe...misc file....

Wisebass, pcake, J_Bass and 1 other person like this.
  11. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    You're crazy. :wacky:

But you've got plenty of company in this place! :roflmao:

Congrats on finding your happy place. :thumbsup:

12. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I use a litany of effects for my originals band with an 8x10 and a rack full of gear, but often times when I do fill in work for cover bands, I don't even bring an amp. Whatever works, ya know?

13. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Hands, Bass, Amp

That is how I have always played.

pappabass, bassfran and GlennRH like this.
  14. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The tone is in my left shoe. Prove it isn’t.

15. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    The most I ever had when I was p!aying originals was a distortion pedal. Now I play covers so sometimes I need an effect here and there. But I'm with you. Keep it.simple!!!

16. Not quite unique. Most bass players don't use effects.

17. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Tone is as unique to each of us as a fingerprint. My tone is highly processed using a Line6 Helix as I play all metal, and to me, its the greatest tone ever, DI or mic'd, it sounds like me... call me crazy ;-)
    Rock on.

FilterFunk, gregmon79 and murph7489 like this.
  18. well to be honest I asked my sound tech if he thought I should have compression..he said probably wouldn't hurt the way you play..( he knows I dig in quite a bit)..So then I start thinking okay, I would get a pedal but then I don't like stuff on the floor in front of me, and I don't want a pedal sitting on my cab or amp it will look stupid to me..so then I need a rack compressor, and well since I would then have a rack, now I need to add a tuner, maybe EQ, or some other gadget so the rack looks normal or ya know more racks..not just one spot used..lol, like i said...Call me crazy...

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think you see what you want to see. There are plenty of bassists who don't use effects and only use their bass straight into an amp.

There is a growing number of bassists who use effects too but it's really dictated by the band you're in and the music that band plays. The band I was in up until recently I used effects all the time. The newer band I'm in doesn't use as much because there are 2 guitars. There's no mystery to it. All ways are good ways as long as you play to the song IMO.

HolmeBass and murph7489 like this.
  20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    And now you are talking just plain FUN...experiment, go nuts, it will be a journey for sure...I had the tone I was chasing in my head for the entire 37+ years I have been playing, came close a few times, found it a month ago with the Helix, tried countless pedals, amps, cabs, basses over the years, comes down to what it comes down to, dont try to define it...explore and experiment!
    Rock on!