Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Call me crazy (J-Retro inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eldoctorbass, Oct 13, 2005.

1. eldoctorbass

eldoctorbass Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Northampton, Mass
    Would a J-Retro preamp work in a Fender Mustang/Musicmaster? You techies out there are probably rolling on the ground laughing at this idea. And maybe it's just not either possible or beneficial. I just like the way those basses look but wish they had more tonal variation.

A part 2 of the question: any short-scale basses out there that have a retro vibe but souped-up electronics? I wish Lakland would introduce one (hint hint).

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    East also makes the U-Retro which would work fine. It's the same as the J-Retro minus the plate.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Unchain is right... I expect you'd want the U-Retro, because I doubt a Jazz-fitted preamp would drop straight into a Mustang or Musicmaster (although I honestly don't know for sure). The other issue is whether or not the control cavity will house the U-Retro's electronics without some routing.

As far as beneficial, only you can decide that. If you prefer the U-Retro sound, and you can do any necessary work without damaging the instrument, I'd say go for it!

4. Why not get the stompbox version and not carve up the body?

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    +1

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Can't think of a reason not to. :)

I don't even know that he'd have to if he wanted to implement the U-Retro, but I wanted to bring it up in case it was something he hadn't taken into consideration.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Ha, forgot East makes that version too. Nice thinking Hambone!

8. eldoctorbass

eldoctorbass Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Northampton, Mass
    Cool, I didn't know about the box option. I appreciate the info/replies.