1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Call me master of the obvious...

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by loendmaestro, Jun 21, 2007.

1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    OK, so I've had my G&L ASAT for a year & a half or so. I've raved about it's looks, features, cool styling & general tones in a band setting.

Well, I haven't had the opportunity to properly record with it....until now.

Oh

My

God

Man, you can't deny the sheer, unadulterated power of those MFD's. I recorded the main track active/series/both pick ups into my hybrid amp with the tube drive off through a 15".
    Then for the chorus I went passive via a Little Big Muff through all the same settings.

Jesus H tapdancin' Christ - that is one B-I-G tone! The song is kind of over the top to begin with, but the massive G&L tones are just pure evil. :bassist:

All you boys here already realize the power I know....it just makes me kind of sad for those that aren't quite G&L savvy.

Because they are missing quite the opportunity....:rollno:

Sorry to point out what is really common knowledge, but no one else would really understand now would they?!

2. Got a pic of you playing it?

Would it be weird playing an ASAT in a Metal band setting? Hmm...

3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I wouldn't really categorize ourselves as metal, but there are definitely some heavy moments...
    th_DSC00523.jpg

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Oh yeah, you guys are totally metal...:D:D:D:D

5. I don't know much about recording, but wouldn't series be too noisy to record with? I haven't owned many G&Ls, but whenever I flip to series in a live setting I get noticeable background hum.

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Studios tend to be far quieter than stages are. A good shielding job on the control cavity helps with this immensely.

One engineer I worked with didn't really look at my bass when we set up to record. When I started tracking with my SB-2 he actually stopped the session to ask me what kind of bass that was. His ears told him that something is different about this "P-bass."

7. Hahaha, ok, I said metal because I wanted to see a pic of it being played slung low (Which he did)

All the pics I saw were the bass being strapped high.

8. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Oh great, now everybody will want one. Jeeze can't you keep a secret? ;) :D

Jim

9. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    THAT is funny!

Yeah man...we're like metal for the elderly. Cast Iron if you will...

Cheers!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021