1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Called for jury duty again!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, May 20, 2011.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Just got my notice. This will honest to god, make my 7th time being summoned for jury duty in the past 25 years. My wife has NEVER been called. My brother at 51 has been called 2x. My dad maybe 5 times. What. The. Hell.
    MAKE IT STOP!!!

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Based upon your posts I can understand why a thoughtful person like yourself would make the justice system's short list of competent jurors.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Call of Jury! Sounds like a FPS game......

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Thanks MIJ. :)

I support the whole jury system and such and considered it an honor at one point to be selected, it's just that it's getting to be a bit much now... I'm getting a little frustrated.
    I had vacation time taken off from work during the same week I'm being called...ugh!!

5. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    What is this thing you speak of.....this thing...called....jury duty?:confused:

6. TJ55

TJ55

Jun 5, 2010
    KY
    I would do anything possible to fix this. Nothing would piss me off more than spending vacation days in jury duty. My free time is 10X more valuable that what I make per hour and certainly more than what jury duty pays.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Cant. It's not considered a "hardship" here in NJ. Only way to get out of jury duty is to declare a hardship (health issues, financial hardships, etc) They'll pretty much laugh at vacation as being an excuse. I had plans to travel a bit too with the family.

8. TJ55

TJ55

Jun 5, 2010
    KY
    I afraid that might be the case but do you still have to burn the vacation days? Can you save them for another time or are you bound to them now since you already scheduled 'em?

9. It's cuz you're white. "Jury of your peers" my arse :D

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    ^^^^ You're made for it! ;)

Think of it this way, your service may help the rest of us do other things.

I served in circuit court on a malpractice suit in 2004. It should have tagged as frivolous. The family that brought a case against a physician for seven years went home with nothing.

12. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    "That joke is titled "Latino's are criminals." Don't worry its just the title - it doesn't mean anything."

Lmao! From Daniel Tosh's stand-up. That had me dying.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Make sure you post daily about the experience. Maybe you can sneak in a cell phone and take pictures. :D

Hopefully you don't get stuck with a sicko case like a friend of mine did. He had to serve on a trial to determine monetary compensation for a man who was molested as a child by a group of adults when he lived in a state run foster home.

-Mike

14. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    A good friend was 'called for duty' in March. The three times that he was going to show up the next day-each case settled on the evening before, and he got a phone call to not show the following day. When the month was over, his (March) pool was no longer needed.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    7 times in 25 years isnt really that much, Matt.

Funny enough, I never seem to get invited to Jury Duty :bag:

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well, considering that you are only supposed to be eligible every 3 years, this IS like damn near every 3 years!

It's not that it's a big deal in and of itself, it's just that it tends to create a real real complicated week for me and now given the fact that it's landing right on my damn vacation...blah.
    There is a possibility of postponing it if I recall correctly, I may see if I can do so. It's not the jury duty itself that's getting me so much (just a little), it's the timing more so.

17. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Thinking about this, and my current nearly banned status, I'm going to say you should just recite as many Clayton Bigsby lines as you can remember.

18. I was waiting for someone to post the "go ape**** crazy" idea

19. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Hey tony do me a favor and re-quote that. I'm about to go on a mandatory vacation if that stays up, which is why I decided to edit it.

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Ha!
    Don't wanna do that. A couple of months ago a woman in NY ( I think, cant remember all the details) got busted trying to go all racial to get out of jury duty. She was actually Asian American and was ranting about black people or something like that. ..
    they apparently gave her sensitivity classes and some sort of jury duty until further notice!
    I'll have to dig up the article, it's classic!

Found it:

http://www.thebvx.com/2011/04/06/daily-smh-woman-sentenced-to-indefinite-jury-duty-for-racist-re/