1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Called for jury duty again!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, May 20, 2011.

1. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I'm a permanent resident, not a citizen. That means I pay taxes, can't vote, can't leave for more than six months without asking first, don't do jury duty.

Despite that, they've tried to call me up every single year. You'd have thought they would have records, and someone capable of reading them, or something along those lines.

As a less blunt alternative to the "go crazy" option, you can always look up the judge's previous cases and comment on their decisions during voir dire.

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I lived in Massachussetts for 15 years. Every time they sent me a summons for Jury Duty, I simply checked off the exemption box that said "I have been convicted of a crime within the past 7 years" and sent it back. Never had to serve, never had to further explain my exemption.

Then I moved to New York. They don't have a "convicted criminal" exemption here! Presumably because everyone here has a criminal record? So I've served twice now.

...and it was actually a pantload of fun.

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I can imagine at least one person enjoying his/her vacation time thanks to you Relic.:D

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    They keep sending them to you cuz you keep showing up. Did the notice to serve arrive certified mail? What notice? :ninja:

5. ... or simply say that your father was a police officer, and your brother-in-law is an assistant DA. The next thing you hear will be "The defense would like to thank and excuse juror number 1."

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Is lying to a judge a good idea?

-Mike

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No.

8. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    don't worry about it; the rapture takes all these concerns away...

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
  10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Was the first link on google. I pulled an MIJ-VI and didn't bother to read it.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    "The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races" - Homer Simpson on getting out of jury duty. :D

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Eh, it's okay. We all do the MIJ-VI from time to time, no shame in that. :D

13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    While you can't get out of it, you can always postpone it for alternate dates or elect to go earlier, just call. I've done it twice and it wasn't even questioned. I'm sure if you tried delaying it constantly they might have issue, but it really was a 10 minute phone call.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've been pulled in for jury duty like 5-6 times. I might lose a day of work here and there, but I've always managed to be ejected from the jury pool. When they ask you if you can be 'indifferent' I always answer no. And I can think of a reason why on the spot pertaining to the case at hand.

15. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
  16. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Nov 24, 2010
    Central Alberta
    I've always wanted to go for jury duty.

Hope it's not too innapropriate, but...
    My brother got summoned, and he phoned the number given on the back. He asked the lady who picked up 'are there gonna be any *racial slur starting with 'N'* on trial?'.

Needless to say, she told him to not bother coming in for selection. He's never been called since.

17. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    personally, if i ever face a jury, i would prefer fellow bass players to be on it. jury of my peers and all that.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    When I think of Maki walking in for jury duty, I imagine it goes somewhat like it went for Spicoli on his first day in Mr. Hands class.

-Mike

19. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    There is some truth to this. I'm 60, and have only been called once. As soon as they asked what I did for a living (law enforcement), the judge excused me immediately. He knew that very few, if any, defense attorneys would allow me to sit on a jury. Kind of odd really, because I think I would be a very fair juror. A lot of my career was spent exonerating other suspects while trying to determine who actually committed the crime.

But this reminds me of a prominent defense attorney here in Memphis. He tells the story of some of the more interesting potential jurors he has interviewed over the years. One that made me laugh included the following exchange. (I'm paraphrasing, but it's pretty close.)

Atty.: Do you have any pre-conceived notions about the guilt or innocence of my client?

Potential Juror (P.J.): Oh, I figure he's guilty all right.

Atty: What?! Why would you say that?

P.J.: Well, everybody in town knows that you always get guilty people off, so I figure he's guilty too.

Yes, he was excused... :D

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was picked twice in three years, while my brother who is 27 had never been picked. My parents who are a bit older have each only been picked once.